Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking into the option of going the pallet donor route. I saw the information on the FAQ section about Cypress auto and Mike Percy. I gave him a call and he seems to have a plan for donor pallets. The only problem for me is the shipping cost (approx. 900 bucks). Also the prices have gone up since the information was taken for the FAQ. Here is the curent prices for FAQ or anyone interested.

0-43K 4,500
44-64K 3,800
65-80K 3,200
81K + 2,800

I might just go the regular donor route because this would bring my cost up to $3,700.

I would use Cypress if I was a west coast person. Does anyone know anyone who does pallet donors on the east coast and does a good job. I'm located in Kentucky.

I'm having a hard time finding a donor car. Everytime I find one, someone has snagged it already. I'm sure one will turn up soon.

Thanks,
Mark

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,067 Posts
Try this, go to a small used car lot and tell them what you are looking for. They have the licenses to go to the big car auctions (insurance cars, repos, rental returns, etc). Tell them body damage is ok, also tell them year, model, miles, etc. They normally wouldn't pick up a car like this but if they know they have a buyer and can make a profit, most will. You might have to try a couple lots but you will find one that will do this for you. I had one lot doing this for me but ended up getting one from another place. It's worth a try.

·
7,705 Posts
Do you have a friend who is a law enforcement officer or works for a tow company? That's how I got my donor. Informed the local tow truck companies what I was looking for and let a few of the police officers in on it. It took a couple of months, but I only paid $80.00 for a '93 that had been stolen and recovered. Only thing missing was the front seats, tires/wheels and the radio.

Good luck,

Ray

PS: you also might check with some of the insurance companies. They might want to get more that just salvage out of a car, but it might not be too costly.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
510 Posts
Mark:

It is hard to believe that there are not donor opportunities in and around Lexington. I think Greg's approach would work for you if you try it in Lexington.

BTW, my wife is from Danville. Wants to know which high school you went to...

·
FFCobra Craftsman
3,806 Posts
Keep looking for a donor. I got a driveable, high mileage wreck for $1000.

·
Senior Charter Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm orginally from Corning, NY. I moved to Danville about 6 years ago for work. I grew up and went to school in Corning.

I do find some donors around here, but they seem to get snatched up pretty quick. I've been looking on traderonline, cars.com, iaai.com, and local papers.

If anyone runs across something in the Kentucky or Ohio area, let me know.

Thanks,
Mark

·
FFCobra Fanatic
762 Posts
You are in the country! Every teen down there has a mustang and street racers on the backroads! Let me email my cousins and see what I kind find, they all live about 30 minutes from you. Also there are several auto auctions, I might have an uncle in the used auto busniness down there that can find a wreck. The problem with where your at nobody uses the paper to sell, it's the country....word of mouth....they just let the car sit on blocks in the front yard until somebody buys it. Danville is a huge city in that part of the country! Also I used to see tons of cars in Louisville area when I was looking.

Mike

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,808 Posts
You might check with Cypress weekly and buy a donor directly from them. Not a pallet but the car. You could drive it home. They get a lot of Mustangs and they often have driving wrecks they sell outright. I purchased a pallet from them last may with IRS and it was still alot of prep work. If I every build again I would go pallet again.

·
Charter Member
423 Posts
Though not real close to you, I got my 43K donor from Bill Fox near Carlisle PA. He deals stricly in late model Mustangs. I told him what I was going to do and said he's done a few FFR packages before. He called a few days later with one he got at a Maryland auction, spin-out with all for sides having light damage. Everything was super clean with only the smog pump/radiator and fan shroud damaged. I went up to hear it run, bought it, and he had it tore apart and in my pick-up in 6 hours. Took the wife and visited Amish country while waiting. That was back in '98. his # is 717-292-2537

·
FFCobra Fanatic
510 Posts
In case you do end up buying a pallet from out-of-state, I'll give you contact info for Greg Lapoint. He sold me a low mileage donor pallet (with 3.27 rear) in 2000. His kit included a new radiator, rebuilt transmission and new clutch. He offered options such as 5-lug, new steering rack, Hydraboost brake booster, etc. His base price at that time was ~$3,000. Shipping was $250. Greg is a good source, and he certainly knows FFR's. He is in Northern Ohio. His phone number is 888-870-4217.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts