Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
FFR Craftsman
5,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, we all know what brake fluid will do to paint but wanted to know if anyone's tried POR-15 with a topcoat and how well it held up? I'm planning on using my un-used POR-15 to doll-up the MC. Yes? No? Won't matter because brake fluid will eat any and all paint????

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
I think the last statment is correct.

You might try just POR the black would look OK and there is not all that much sunlight under the hood.

I am not sure if it would get eaten away or not. Post pic's after 20,000

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
8,694 Posts
I painted my old M/C with POR-15 and it held up fine. The brake fluid had no impact on it at all. I didn't top coat, however.

·
1,568 Posts
Hey:

I por'd mine and was disappointed that it didn't hold up. Maybe just my luck but after bleeding the brakes, maybe I didn't clean up the residue very well, but the paint peeled off along the top edges. Repainted it and will have to be more careful.

Curtis

·
Charter Member
1,776 Posts
I used VHT brake & caliper paint in silver. Held up fine so far. Just don't be stupid and paint the inside of it like me.
Raul

·
FFR Craftsman
5,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all. I went ahead and used POR-15. Now here's something I discovered and a little concerned with:

I used the Metal Ready to removed the oil and such from the MC exterior; I kept the cap on. After rinsing everything off, and towel drying, I opened up the cover and there was some water inside!!!!

I put the cap on a level surface and it appears to be warped slightly but shouldn't the gasket make up for this, after all, it's only stamped steel? What I'm more concerned with is when there is actually brake fluid in this thing, if it'll spill out as well under heavy conrering or acceleration/braking. I could probably tweak the cover a bit... or am I just worried about nothing.

PS:
What is the correct orientation for the lid gasket:

or...

I'm so used to the twist lid type of reservoir that I didn't think much of this. The first picture is how it came with the MC. Just double checking.

[ March 19, 2005, 12:55 PM: Message edited by: 289FIA_Cobra ]

·
18,090 Posts
Originally posted by 289FIA_Cobra:

PS:
What is the correct orientation for the lid gasket:

This is the correct orientation for your gasket.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts