Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished painting my rotors...red to match the car....
Would it be pretty stupid to paint the rear drum red?
I quess if it was a rotor it would be okay.
A drum? not sure about it.
Does anyone have any pictures of rotor's painted with a view through the rims.

·
Charter Member
110 Posts
You can paint the rotor? Not just the calipers?

What kind of rims are you running? Not sure how much of the drum you would see.

·
15,282 Posts
I suppose you could paint the rotor, but your first brake action is going to burn the paint off and possibly foul up the pads.... Surely you mean the calipers?

I don't have any pics, but a lot of TX kids with older ricegrinders that can't afford the disc brake upgrade yet paint their rear drums. I wouldn't say it looks bad, but red might be pretty loud on that much surface area. (It's never going to look like the Porsche Turbo red...!) Black would be much more subtle.

Also, I assume you're using some lacquer that will be heat-resistant. I suspect heat could be an even bigger issue over an entire drum than just on the caliper, since the rotor is really taking most of the heat up front.

Let us know what you decide to do.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,110 Posts
I've seen rear drums painted red before. You can do it, no prob. But it is a lot of red back there. Kind of makes it look like the rear brakes are bigger than the fronts. Not sure if it will look right.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,600 Posts
Knight,
Duplicolor just came out with a new caliper paint. High resistance to temp. I'd take a look at them If I were you. BTW, I'm converting to Richard's 4-lug discs on rear and I'm painting them blue.
Thanks,
Ron FFR1738

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.