Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tryed color sanding the base color on a metalic 2 stage paint? just wanted to see if I could get rid of some of the dust befor the clear coat. I did a sample and it loses some of the metalic shene, If I use a finer sand paper would this Help. Oh and I did tent the inside of the garage and install a filtration system for air exchange. The color is dark blue with a lot of perl. Im getting real close. Thanks for all the advise :>)

·
Premium Member
5,526 Posts
You should ask this in "Ask Street Rod Painter" section of this forum. He will be able to give you some good advice.

·
Senior Charter Member
193 Posts
any dust that a tack rag wont remove should be sanded with 1000 grit,on metalic colors you will need 1 to 2 coats over sanded area to avoid seeing sanded area under clear.there is also a limited time base coat can sit with out being cleared

·
3,185 Posts
I sometimes nibsand with 1000g if I have any dust in the base. then tack it off and add another coat or two of base to cover the scratch. any scratches in base metallics or pearls will show up BIGTIME once cleared. the other bad thing about nibsanding and tacking basecoat is static build up. this will lead to even more dust. I use an ion static eliminator after tacking to kill the static. costs some bucks but well worth it. cheers, SRP

·
Registered
148 Posts
Be careful wetsanding base before clear. I once did this with sherwin-williams (they should stick to house paint) and the clear peeled off in about a week. Only had this problem with s-w.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts