Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to be able to say that we built the whole car. It was a personal decision, but I knew the question about who painted our car was going to bug me. The only problem is that we've never painted a car before.

We don't have any rental paint booths in the area, so I decided early on that we'd do this in our garage. We equipped ourselves, read everything we could find, and finally tackled the big job this past weekend. For those of you who do this for a living, I have a new respect for how you earn a buck.

Now that I'm lucid again, with a couple of nights' sleep following the paint-a-thon, I decided to document my ideas, observations, and lessons learned for others.

This is not meant to replace the invaluable threads posted by others who have painted their cars. Thanks to all of you, as you gave us the confidence to attempt this! Instead, these are things that I thought a first-timer would also want to know before tackling the job.

Feel free to copy any of the content that you find worthwhile, and to comment here if you have a different way to address anything you read. Money back guarantee if not completely satisfied! :001_tongue:

Type 65 Coupe Painting Lessons Learned by a Novice

·
1,771 Posts
Well done. We did the same in our garage, and it is a great feeling of accomplishment. You've a few days off, and then you get the privilege of wet sanding and buffing to bring out the shine after which I predict you will stand and look at your own reflection, assorted clouds, the neighbours trees, etc.

Congrats, Mike

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Welcome to the club. I did my first and last one with my Coupe.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Home Paint

That is a great job.The car looks like a custom job.:w00t:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Looks great. I salute you.
For anyone wanting to try this and if your water heater is in the garage, make sure the water heater's pilot light is turned off. Nothing worse than explosive vapors and a lit pilot light. Try to explain that one to your insurance company.

FIA Mike

·
Registered
65 Posts
Looks top notch for not having much experience. I painted mine as well because I couldn't see someone else getting all the glory after I put the hours in with the bodywork.

·
FFR Rookie Craftsman
2,937 Posts
Howdy,

Two thumbs up!

I am planning on painting my Spyder myself.

Hopefully it will turn out as nice as your Coupe.

Paul

·
Benchracer Extraordinaire
11 Posts
Very cool!

I'm going to save this for when I build my coupe, seeing as I'm almost certainly not going to be able to afford a pro paint job.

But who needs pro paint when it's going to be matte rustoleum anyway...
:icon18:

·
Torque Junkie
2,167 Posts
Painted mine in my garage as well.

Great write up you did there.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Wow - awesome job Darkpt!

I am also thinking about painting mine myself, so really appreciate you taking the time to write this up and post it for us. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the kind words. It was my pleasure to do this for those that will follow.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Good looking job: Painting is more art than science, I can't even paint with a spray can except for primer!! My hats off to you!! It cost me over 6K to get mine looking like yours after I did all the prep work and the wife would not let me run it primer grey or is that gray.
CB

1 - 12 of 12 Posts