Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a 2+ years of bodywork on my Coupe, its getting a pro application of primer sealer and 2-stage acrylic ureathane (Summit Racing Carbon Fiber) next week. Woo hoo! It is a good feeling to finally shed a major portion of that straight jacket!

My OCD friend who was instramental (his garage) in the majority of body work, wants to know if anyone out there has experienced cracking around the body mount holes?

Since there is a total of 20 mounting locations (not including the hood), plus the sills rests on the frame, I have not heard nor think its an issue. However that is my question for the day.

Thank you!

Attachments

· Registered
1,182 Posts
No problems with the body mount holes here. I taped over mine before re-drilling after paint to clear out the holes.

Make sure that the hood completely clears the U-bolts for the hood latches. If you ever drop the hood, you don't want to hit those on the way down. Don't ask...

Also, make sure you have enough room around the exhaust openings. If it's marginal, it's better to make a little room now than after it's painted.

Finally, watch the doors very carefully when you re-hang them after paint. Things settle and need re-adjusting after the first few dozen drives, and you don't want the first clue to be that the door opening on the body suddenly needs touching up. Again, don't ask...

Good luck with the paint job! Let's see those pics before the paint is dry!! :001_tongue:

· HighPlainsDrifter
549 Posts
door gaps

Hi,
I hope you did at least 3/16" door gaps as once there is primer and paint that gap decreases and the fit is easier to rub paint.
Good luck,
Perry.

· Registered
588 Posts
Looks great Shawn. The only place where I found a small crack was inside inner lip of the left-rear wheel well, basically around the edge from the door sill. It's very small, and happened during the initial mounting of the body.

Hey, from your photo, it looks like you've cut out the hood hump. What are your plans for that?

Cheers,
John

· Registered
726 Posts
Make sure that the hood completely clears the U-bolts for the hood latches. If you ever drop the hood, you don't want to hit those on the way down. Don't ask...

Finally, watch the doors very carefully when you re-hang them after paint. Things settle and need re-adjusting after the first few dozen drives, and you don't want the first clue to be that the door opening on the body suddenly needs touching up. Again, don't ask...
Dan, I suspected that hood drop may end up hitting those U-bolts and cut the flat area under the hood that would hit it back enough that it clears it if the hood is accidentally knocked closed. Hope you didn't suffer too much damage.

I'm going to paint mine differently. Painting anything with metallic in it is hard to do correctly when everything is apart. Going one direction on the doors and a different direction (when laying down the paint) on say the body or hood can cause a difference in appearance that is very noticeable once all is put back together. I will take it apart, paint the areas you cannot hit while it is together, then put it back together. That way I can do the outside so that all passes of the spray gun go the same way and with the same amount of paint applied keeping the look homogenized. Just my 2 cents worth. John

· Registered
1,182 Posts
Not much damage, but I do have cracks where we re-attached the bottoms of the hood.

BTW - hit 3000 miles the other day. We dropped in a remanufactured engine in September and have been breaking it in. You're gonna love this thing! :)

· Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Paint

This is the first I have seen my paint since I was away on biz last week. Now I need to bring the chassis back over, mount the body and hood so it can be wet sanded and buffed out.

The color is just what I had in mind; contrasted against the red frame, and gold center FR500 wheels.

Attachments

· master craftsman
5,596 Posts
Very very nice!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.