Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering painting (or at the very least polishing and coating with Sharkhide) my T56 transmission/bellhousing and IRS Diff housing. I know there are a few that have done this. I'm looking for your experience and guidance:

What paint/process did you use?
Was it worth the effort?
How has yours held up after driving the car?
Did you need to do any additional touch-up or maintenance later?

My diff is in the car now (and as some can imagine) I'd prefer to paint it where it sits. The trans & bellhousing is still boxed up so plenty of flexibility there.

Pics would be great. Thanks in advance.

·
1st RFM/FFR Legacy Winner
26,654 Posts
I'm all about shiny but you can't see any of those when the car is on the ground...

I painted the bell housing and the diff gloss black with Rustoleum in the can. Left the T5 plain cast aluminum.

Greg

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
I painted some of my cast aluminum parts with silver/aluminum high heat/engine enamel. No real difference in appearance but makes them much easier to clean up. Scott
Auto part Exhaust manifold Automotive air manifold

Attachments

Reactions: chrisarella

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I painted the rear diff with POR-15 (Black) and the Transmission with a rattle can silver. Gained 5 hp!

·
26,654 Posts
I painted some of my non cast aluminum parts with silver/aluminum high heat/engine enamel. No real difference in appearance but makes them much easier to clean up. Scott
View attachment 325610
I painted this intake manifold with Rustoleum metallic silver rattle can in 2004 and it looks like this today. Also, in 2004, the copper pipes and the valve covers were coated with Sharkhide and the FE brass expansion tank with Rustoleum gloss rattle can black. Everything looks as new 14 years later.

Greg

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I painted this intake manifold with Rustoleum metallic silver rattle can in 2004 and it looks like this today. Also, in 2004, the copper pipes and the valve covers were coated with Sharkhide and the FE brass expansion tank with Rustoleum gloss rattle can black. Everything looks as new 14 years later.

Greg
Garage queen!

·
26,654 Posts
23,000 miles. Never seen rain. Never leaked anything, Never washed!

Guilty as charged. >:) :lol:

Greg

·
Charter Member
2,612 Posts
I recently painted some aluminum upper and lower control arms and spindles with Eastwood's Aluma Blast. It has aluminum flake in the paint and looks like cast aluminum when dry. It really brought the parts back to life. I am going to paint my Porsche Transaxle when I buy it, (for the next project).
https://www.eastwood.com/ew-aluma-blast-paint-aerosol-12-oz.html

Rob

Reactions: chrisarella

·
FFCobra Fanatic
4,079 Posts
What plans do you have for cobra? If you just plan to drive a very low amount of miles(show car/trailer queen) paint it. If you plan to drive it a lot, don't paint. 'Ol #1437(my cobra) has been on the road for almost 20yrs now(180,000ish mi) and no desire/need to paint parts that don't need it IMHO. My cobra has seen lots of rain(I live in Oregon),mud, dust, snow, heat wave(going on right now).seagulls, ect. Like I tell the folks, "My cobra is a "go car". not a "show car". lol Do what ever makes YOU happy and be done with it. lol Good luck and have fun
hth
Butch:wink2:

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What plans do you have for cobra? If you just plan to drive a very low amount of miles(show car/trailer queen) paint it. If you plan to drive it a lot, don't paint.

Hi Butch. It will be driven for sure, maybe even cross country at some point. I am in Florida so I do have more opportunities to drive a topless Roadster year round than most around the country.

The biggest reasons for building this car, for me, is the process of the build itself. The older I get the more I appreciate these challenges, and it has become less about checking the box. I love the research, the learning, designing, problem-solving, and seeing how far I can take my projects (within an acceptable amount of time and budget). I do understand that getting it completed will be fun too, so there will be some compromises I’ll need to make a long the way to make that happen. I don’t think painting some parts will be one of those compromises.

So for the little amount of money and effort painting the parts will be, I think I’ll appreciate these efforts in the end.

·
Registered
11,831 Posts
Transmission housings that are painted wipe clean better than the natural cast finish.

I would recommend you make EVERY effort to make every square millimeter of your car the best it can possibly be.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Paint it

Since you live in Florida, you might experience salty moist air. So, why not paint the bell housing, transmission, and rear end. I used Rustoleum rattle can silver on the bell housing and transmission, and brushed on Rustoleum black paint out of a quart can on the rear end. No corrosion in 6 years, 44,000 miles. Car is a driver.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Paint or Not To Paint - Transmission & Diff

Since you live in Florida, you might experience salty moist air. So, why not paint the bell housing, transmission, and rear end. I used Rustoleum rattle can silver on the bell housing and transmission, and brushed on Rustoleum black paint out of a quart can on the rear end. No corrosion in 6 years, 44,000 miles. Car is a driver.
Which Rustoleum paint did you use? Got a link?

I’m seriously considering brushing on POR15 on the diff. I have a can of the rust preventative gloss black. Anyone have any idea if it will hold up to the temps of the diff or do I need to get a different kind?

I love how the Eastwood Aluma blast looks so maybe I’ll paint it with the Duplicolor Hi Temp Clear for the trans and bellhousing.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Sorry for this delayed response, don't get on this site much anymore. Just basic Rustoleum silver spray can, and Rustoleum gloss black in a quart can. Purchased at Walmart. I'm sure you could use chassis black in a can for the rear end as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts