Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking to paint my car. I had one shop local to me but the guy has been givin me the run around for a year. I also contacted Frank from Classic Illusion Restorations but he will not take it until next year by the mid to end of Jan. I really want to have it by December to enjoy it. Does anyone know of a good shop that has actually painted FFR cobras in Florida? Does not have to be in Miami..

Thank you...

·
Registered
443 Posts
try Joey at Performance automotive customs, he builds factory fives and think he paints them also

·
Registered
771 Posts
I would consider shipping to Street Rod Painter. I know there would be cost involved but he has done hundreds of FFR roadsters and in my opinion his work cannot be topped. My body is at his shop currently receiving the $10,000 show quality paint/body work and all the bells and whistles including dropping the butt. I have an MK3.1 and understand allot of the body issues were fixed on the MK4 so I don't know how that effects the price.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
I've only been down the paint road once and can tell you where not to go. Send me a PM for further explanation. Shipping to Street Rod painter or Batman is also a good idea if you want quality, but the shipping cost from Florida will be high. I've heard good things about Classic Illusions.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Get in touch with JLFernan and see if he might be able to get you in with his guy. He had a great paint job done locally.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
25,976 Posts
Good idea posting here.I kept talking to body shops and they mostly wanted to do mine as a winter fill-in project and still wanted $8000.And their definition of winter was Oct to April. Yeah right, so i kept looking. Finally found a guy a friend used who does some unusual stuff in addition to the usual quick in/out work. But he still likes to get the job done and collect his $. Mine was done in 7 weeks and it would have been six if the primer the original builder had applied hadn't had a bad reaction w/ his primer.Oh, and the whole thing including the APE hardtop was done for $3700.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I'm having mine at this moment being painted by Iron Horse Restorations in Cantonment, FL north west corner of FL. don't know where you are located but he has done two that I know of not counting mine.

·
Banned
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To the top

Up this road again, I haven't found anyone close to me that is worthy of painting my car. Anyone has a painter I can borrow? :)

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
There is a company up here in Ocala called Performance Automotive Customs, I have never been there or even talked to them but they build turn-key FFR cars so I'm guessing they paint them too.
FYI I had a very bad experience with these guys. Send me a PM and I will explain.

Jeff

·
Registered
624 Posts
What about Whitby??

·
master craftsman
5,596 Posts
They tend to get painted and finished when you pay a fair and reasonable amount, my suggestion would be give up on the whole great Cuban negotiator deal and pay a local painter what it costs and it will get done. If not your going to have the same issues elsewhere that you have there......HTH. Steven

·
Banned
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Steven, at this point its not about the money. I just feel that if someone is asking $7,000 to paint the car and they are asking me if i want a show finish and if i want the doors to match or if i want to round all the sharp edges then it looks like they don't know what they are doing. The paint is, from what i have seen, the easy part. Its the prep work that will make it or break it. I have gotten people down here that tell me they will do it for $2,500 or $3,000 but when you see their final product on another car; scarry...

So all and all, i am looking for some one that has painted their car locally and had a good overall result.

They tend to get painted and finished when you pay a fair and reasonable amount, my suggestion would be give up on the whole great Cuban negotiator deal and pay a local painter what it costs and it will get done. If not your going to have the same issues elsewhere that you have there......HTH. Steven

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.