Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Paint in Guelph KW area

2K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  Slord 
#1 ·
Well I am at that stage where I am looking to see if I can get this thing painted. Anybody recommend a good place for body and paint for the MKIV in the Guelph area or even southern Ontario for that matter?

Thanks

#4 ·
Car is done but not safetied or registered yet. Been trying to get guys out to my place to see it and give an estimate. Colour not determined just yet. Kind of leaning toward a red but not fixated on it. Am not going for the $700plus per quart stuff though.
If you think he is still interested I can pm my contact info.

Thanks

#5 ·
Wow - $700 per quart? Is that liquid gold? :smile2:

My take - bodywork and paint for these things is NOT a simple, straight forward job. I can understand the convenience of having them come out, but to me seeing the quality of the work they do and have done first hand is far, far more important.

That doesn't mean they can't come out to have a look, but to me getting a quote is only a small part of the process.

I think we met a few years ago when you stopped by my place for an FFR garage party. I'm pretty sure it was before you ordered your kit? Anyways - shoot me your details and we can reconnect and I can put the two of you in touch.

#7 ·
Not sure what type of paint is $700 a quart but that said quality paint is expensive and (in my unprofessional opinion) worth every penny.

I just rebuilt a Infiniti G35 to use as a daily driver which required one side of the car to be re-sprayed. Used the factory base coat and then a reasonably priced clear coat. Ended up taking off all the clear coat and basecoat, re-sparayed with the same base coat and a very nice clear ($350 a gallon). Wow what a difference using a quality clear, made the paint look as good if not better than the factory spray and far less followup work.

I am by no means an expert or even knowledgeable on the subject but thought I would share my experience...good luck.

#12 ·
Been a while since I posted. I did find a shop near Guelph, where I live, that has done a couple before. It is in primer right now and am very happy with the quality and pace of work so far. Hopefully it isn't against forum rules to post the shop name. The Bodyworks Custom Paint and Bodywork. Small family business with zero web presence from what I can find.

#13 ·
Have you had your car saftied yet?
Just registered mine last week and not having luck finding a mechanic to certify it. That pesky ESC thing keeps scaring them away.
Looking for someone that understands it’s not a manufactured vehicle so it doesn’t need traction and ESC.

#14 ·
I am just about to tackle that whole process. I have a local garage that I have dealt with for years. I know they have done one of these vehicles before.
How difficult was it to register your car? PM me if you want to chat about it. I could use all the prep work I can get.

Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.