Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
How much do you want it to cost? :001_tongue:

Seriously, really depends on what you want, how much you do yourself, kind of paint (solid, metallic, etc.), stripes or solid, mods like rolled cockpit/fenders, etc. A number of threads on this topic, and answers will be all over the map. Many will say to paint it yourself for the cost of materials. Ranges from there to $10K (or more) for a full-up show quality finish. Expect to spend $6 - $8K for a decent higher end paint job.

I think the consensus is that the Mk4 is somewhat less prep work, but I don't think it's a really big difference. The cost drivers are nearly the same for both Mk3 and Mk4's. I had my Mk3 painted by a local painter, and it turned out great. I plan to take my current Mk4 build to him when it's time. So I will have maybe a better answer, in a couple years...

·
FFCobra Craftsman
25,991 Posts
Keep looking and asking around. 4 yrs ago i started asking for quotes and most were in the $8-10k range and most wanted the car from Oct to April. These people are a joke as far as i am concerned. Heck we should get a discount for giving them something for 6 months to use as fill-in work but,as soon as they see a cobra,they automatically think it's special. I finally found a shop that did my car for $3700 including the hardtop and I am quite happy w/ the quality. Also, they had it done in 7 weeks. As long as you get a shop w/ fiberglass experience so they know which fillers and primers to use, you should be good to go. This stuff just isn't rocket science. OTOH, a couple of our venders doing their magic on these cars w/ a lot of special touches common to FFRs only is a different story and worth what they charge.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
What do you want? The dollars are in the details. Clean rolled edges, matched rolled door / body edges, expanded tail light pads, perfect panel fitment.... you get my point. In these areas the MK IV's still need significant work to look right.

I found basic jobs in the $6,000 - 8,500 range
A true FFR show job in the $10K range

I also found some dreamers that thought they could do a show job for $7,000 - $8,000 with no prior FFR / Fiberglass experience they could point to. I was skeptical.

My personal choice has been well documented. I only spent about $2,500 for materials / booth time. In hindsight, a real pro-job in the $6 - $8K range would have been a deal. Experience with FFR's counts over everything in my mind - I had many pro's tell me to do things I knew were wrong based on what I learned from Ken Pike, Batman, STL Scott, Jon A, and many others on the forum.

Good luck with your search. There is a Zen in block sanding that is worth experiencing :)

·
Registered
11,831 Posts
Jeff Miller from Miller Customs said that "less bodywork to do" is true from a certain point of view as far as the body itself, but the reality is that is is more to do.

they all have rolled cockpit edges and separate hood scoop, for example. it is still about 100 hours of work for a professional that has done it many times before.

all the prices i have seen posted lately have therefore not changed. the pro painters popular on this forum charge about $6000

mine was $6,700 with no rolled cockpit edges, but add under hood stripe, ghost stars, and body mounting.

http://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-factory-five-roadsters/228598-paint-costs.html

cheers,

·
FFCobra Owner
854 Posts
Eddie. I think you should call BAT and ask him his cost for what you want.
He is fair, but most important he is GOOD!
He will tell you the truth and you can go from there.

fred z:001_tt1:

·
Registered
796 Posts
My car was also done by Jeff Miller in 2010. Total cost $5850. Breakdown as follows:
body $2500.
paint $2500.
stripe $500.
Assembly $350. which included pickup & delivery(11 miles away), gapping doors, hood, trunk, redoing windshield brace slot holes, proper clearance for sidepipes, mounting doors and latches, trunk hinges and latch, FFR hood hinges and latches and quickjacks and all body mounting hardware. Well worth it! Jim

·
Senior Charter Member
1,623 Posts
$10k for a paint job...really? I'm sure these are very very nice paint jobs, but with a little shopping you can get a very (only one very) nice job for $5k or less. Depends how many nices you need.

·
Charter Member
1,774 Posts
paint jobs around here run from $2200 to $9800

Coach had Unique to paint his and it's perfect, for $6500. Black with Hertz gold stripe.
Dwight

oh yea, it did not disappear into the black hole of paint shops! Took about a month.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Had high school vocational shop do the bodywork and paint for $1451. This was material costs only-they didn't charge for labor. It isn't perfect, but I'm way more than happy with it: passes the 2 foot test and get's a lot of complements.

The stripes are not under clear coat. They did not want to mess with bondo/rage gold in order to level the doors to the body. But I accepted that in advance. Car looks great and I was going to do flat black rattle can, because there was no way I was going to spend 5-8K on paint and then worry about the real world of road chips, ect..... I drive it with abandon and don't have to worry about messing up a small fortune in paint.

Normally I would agree that you get what you pay for, but the free labor on this deal means I got more than I paid for (my perspective, others may disagree).

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
is your snake gonna be a pampered trailer/garage queen that is mainly for shows and the occasional short drive or are you gonna rack up the miles, exploring new places and make some memories. If you pile on the miles then you get rock chips-what I consider a badge of honor.you can spend anywheres up to 8,000 on paint (or more)-but how will you feel when that paint starts getting damaged? and can you justify a repaint every few years to make your baby look perfect agan? what I see is these show babies alway parked in the garage, never driven-course then they always look 'perfect'. I decided from the start if I could build this car I could paint it too-hey, it really isn't that hard, just messy-and I'm not one to have toys just sitting around-they get used as intended. The cobras are a real joy to drive and it just gets better with more and more miles-I wasn't gonna be limited by worrying about an expensive paint job. I spent 1,000.00 on a tri coat paint job with stripes-what I saved payed for my stroker motor. and the best part is a car that gets used without fear of hurting my expensive paint-and people do rave about the paint and seem to have more respect for a car that gets driven and shows a little character.

Bob

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I spent $6k on a PPG vibrance paint job on my 88 mustang and that included a lot of body and metal work and aligning 7 body panels, 2 of which were fiberglass.

I guess I was figuring I could get something pretty nice for the $4-5k range, since there is no rust to fix and only a couple panels to get to fit right.

I suppose I'll shop around and see if I can find someone with some experience.

·
6,279 Posts
Well I spent $6k on a PPG vibrance paint job on my 88 mustang and that included a lot of body and metal work and aligning 7 body panels, 2 of which were fiberglass.

I guess I was figuring I could get something pretty nice for the $4-5k range, since there is no rust to fix and only a couple panels to get to fit right.

I suppose I'll shop around and see if I can find someone with some experience.

Did you get a quote from the same painter that painted your GT? If you're happy with results, that would a good choice and probably less than the GT if the painter agrees with your justification. Nice GT by the way!

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,175 Posts
I agree on all statemenst above. Shop around as it varies from shop to shop and type of materials, etc.

Nice GT...

Got to love the Cervini's Stalker nose (well some don't, but I do!) LOL

Mark

·
Registered
11,831 Posts
a few more comments... it is HIGHLY recommended to go to someone that's done a Factory Five several times before.

when i was working with Jeff Miller he showed me all sorts of little things you need to know... anything from how the hinges need to be to how much pressure (torque) the door nuts can take.

my paint is now about 5 years old, it is 98% perfect as far as bubbles, cracking, etc.

comment about about the stripe thing.... do not underestimate the importance of having a smooth stripe under clearcoat.... several home-made paint jobs have the stripe over the base, and thus a little bump in the clear. Jeff Miller showed me how he does the stripe - i can't remember the whole thing, but basically how he paints the car, leaves space for the stripe, goes back and fills in the body color... something like that.

by all means, a bump in the clear over the stripe edges for a home-made paint job is perfectly fine, just saying of you pay top dollar, the paint should be top notch.

my final comment is that the higher-end paint jobs approaching $10,000 are the ones with candy colors and/or custom mixed paint. only worth it if you think so.

up to you, dude.

:)

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Couple of follow-up comments from my post #2 and those after:

- Agree 100% with the suggestions to pick someone with FFR experience. Fiberglass experience is mandatory. But even better is someone who knows the nuances of what it takes to make this turn out right.

- Not completely fair to compare to the GT paint job (looks great BTW). Even though the Roadster body is relatively small in surface area, there are very few straight lines and most work has to be done by hand. It's very labor intensive, and shops (that know) charge accordingly.

- Just because you have a nice paint job doesn't mean it can't be a driver. Doesn't have to be either/or. My Mk3 has a very nice paint job but it's not a trailer queen. I drove it nearly 2,000 miles in my first full season. Now in storage until spring. :sad: Yes I'm careful where I park it and I take care of it. But I'm not afraid to drive it and I'm relaxed about it. I specifically chose a non-metallic color so that I can do minor repairs myself.

·
Husband/Father/Son
12,416 Posts
What's a reasonable cost for painting the MK IV body?

From what I've heard, there is a little less body work involved in painting these than previous versions.

Thoughts?
As a now ex body shop owner, I can tell you it requires between $4,000-$8,000 depending on the finished product you want.

Exterior only, no stripes, typical FFR bodywork, you are at $4,000.

You want jambs done, under the hood, under the trunk lid done (again no stripes) $5,500.

Stripes(exterior only), tri stage pearl coats, flames, flip flops, or stripes under the clearcoat, add another $1,500-$3,000

Cut and buff to a show finish afterwards: $500

17 Cobras done at my shop of all makes (last one a stunning A&C in Jet Black), not one done for less than $4,000 (customer did the bodywork), and nothing more than $9,200 (we did the bodywork, and all of the above options and then some).

So, it all depends on what you want done, what you are willing to do yourself, the finished product you want, and what color(s) you want.

Bill S.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
25,991 Posts
One way to save some $ is be carefull w/ your paint choice. IE: Dupont has maybe 4-5 paint systems. Which you want or need has a big effect on the price. Some colors are 3 stage vs the more common 2 stage w/ a base and a clear. Looking at complete cars on a dealer lot is the way to go but check if the color you choose is 3 stage or not. I spent an extra $150 on the stripes since I was unaware I had picked a 3 stage color. I could have found another near identical color in 2 stage easily but didn't know. I am glad that wasn't the main color choice although I think the painter would have called me on that one. Good luck!

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
483 Posts
As a now ex body shop owner, I can tell you it requires between $4,000-$8,000 depending on the finished product you want.

Exterior only, no stripes, typical FFR bodywork, you are at $4,000.

You want jambs done, under the hood, under the trunk lid done (again no stripes) $5,500.

Stripes(exterior only), tri stage pearl coats, flames, flip flops, or stripes under the clearcoat, add another $1,500-$3,000

Cut and buff to a show finish afterwards: $500

17 Cobras done at my shop of all makes (last one a stunning A&C in Jet Black), not one done for less than $4,000 (customer did the bodywork), and nothing more than $9,200 (we did the bodywork, and all of the above options and then some).

So, it all depends on what you want done, what you are willing to do yourself, the finished product you want, and what color(s) you want.

Bill S.
Agreed! Keep in mind that you truely do get what you pay for. Good or bad!

·
Registered
679 Posts
Man this is nuts, I have called probably a dozen shops, and have been quoted anywhere from 8k-15k. Thats just simply out of the question for me, is there not anybody in north texas that can paint one of damn cars for 5k??? :mad:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.