Factory Five Racing Forum banner
61 - 73 of 73 Posts

· Registered
53 Posts
I was torn between Blue with silver stripes and Black with no stripes. mainly because I had never taped off stripes before. In the end I figures what the hell and went with blue/silver and I am glad I did.
If you are picking from newer factory colors go to a dealership and check out the color in person, paint chips never show the true detail of the paint.

· Junior Charter Member
2,916 Posts
I saw you mentioned British Racing Green. If you had chosen that. The next question would have been "which one?" There isn't an official one, and at least 30 different ones used back in the day. That is why paint codes are so important.

I am sure that you made the right choice. It is hard to go wrong as long as you don't get crazy.

· Junior Charter Member
100 Posts
My wife laughs at me because I am always pointing out cars I like the red on as we drive arround. My current favorite is the new Ford metalic red with Lexus pearl white stripes...

· Charter Member
1,774 Posts
Over the years I noticed as a group of Cobras would stop at truck stops, restaurants, etc people would walk pass my yellow Cobra, the blues and red ones to go look at the black Cobra. Once they had looked at the black Cobra they would then look at the others.

They "always" looked at the Black Cobra first. I observed this many times over several years in several states.

Dwight

· Registered
36 Posts
I agree with Dwight, black cars have that mean, wicked look to them. However, you need a very straight near perfect body as black will show all imperfections.
I went with silver as it is a light color and does not require as perfect a body. Doesn't show dirt and dust too bad either..
Some awesome paint out there!

Cheers,
Paul

· Premium Member
616 Posts
The color was definitely the most difficult decision for me. I knew before I started the car what engine, transmission, IRS, PS, PB, etc. that I wanted. I finally decided on either green, like British Racing Green, Dark Blue, or Orange. I spent a lot of time walking around parking lots looking at different cars, and looking the colors up on the internet. There really is (almost) no wrong color for these cars. Eventually I got to the point that I got a feeling with certain colors... it was either "That's a nice color... but not very exciting" or "WOW!" I guess everyone has those few colors that cause the "Wow" So for me, the Orange was the "Wow."

Jeff Kleiner made some paint samples for me with some of the Orange options that I picked (and the black stripe)

And I went with this combination:

So my final result was:

The best advise that I received about this choice was "Make it the color of the car in your dreams."

HTH
Steve

· Registered
2,384 Posts
Had always thought I would do black, but I talked myself out of it. Went with Ford code gw - Orange Crush, with a little extra flake. This color gets comments all day long. The world did not need another blue cobra :)...

Make yourself happy - don't worry about anything else.

· Baghdad Bob
877 Posts
If I was a "follow the leader" type Id be probably driving a red corvette and Id have a black Harley. Neither of which appeal to me. Yes, there are too many Blue Cobras, and black Harleys. There are too may follow the leader types. No, offense, But I like what I like, not what I think others will like me in.

Your color is cool, a friend of mine had a MOtorcycle that was called "Orange CRush" very original.

· Registered
18 Posts
I've been building for 4 years, and it seems like every year, I have a different color in mind.
When I started, Toxic Orange as found on the dodge charger/challenger was my vision.
The orange colors have aged, and so have I, so I started swaying towards a dark metallic gray (especially magnetic gray like frankb)
This year, I got the car registered, and have been driving it in the bright red gelcoat, enjoying and appreciating red. I also like the idea that other cars will more easily see the bright red, low profile, light weight roadster before making an ill-advised maneuver in front of me. However, having driven a burnt orange mustang for a decade, I know that argument is a fallacy.
If I painted today, it would be magnetic grey with a bright red stripe (similar to the summit racing roadster). Maybe next year, it'll be flipped to bright red with a metallic stripe.
And of course blue always looks good. My wife has steadfastly held to this color preference, and maybe I'll cave in to her preference before it is finally painted!
Bottom line automotive paint, these cars seem to look good in any color.
I've owned a lot of cars. 34 to be exact. Having owned that many, I've discovered that many times I've sold a car because I regret the color I chose. Not every color works on every car and their different lines. I call it "color regrets" and it is a strong incentive to get into something else. I'm wondering if anyone who has already purchased their M3/M4 has regrets about choosing their particular color. Even slightly. Please indicate your color if you have any regrets about the choice and why. Thanks!

61 - 73 of 73 Posts