Factory Five Racing Forum banner
21 - 40 of 73 Posts

· Junior Charter Member
2,916 Posts
I love mine . Black with BMW Bark Silver stripes. However, I went from blue to silver to grey, back to blue, and finally black, during the build.

My only advice is this. And who am I to say? Classic colors are always in style.

Trend paint jobs, colors or styles, are only good as long as the trend is hot. Usually two years or less. Then it quickly turns into "what was that guy thinking?". Remember the purple trend of the 90s? After two years, you literally couldn't give a purple Mustang away and there were a lot of them. Dealers didn't want to touch them on trade-ins either. Satin and flat are already on the way out.

· Junior Charter Member
1,396 Posts

· Registered
1,015 Posts
That's a beautifull shade of Red. I found this pic on the web somewhere and would love to know hose car it is. Me and my son are trying to reproduce it with House of Kolor paints.
Not sure if it's the same colour but 'Olli' in the other forum had his roadster at the open house this year and it was beautiful. It looks similar and I think he may have used HoK. If you do a search for "2016 Open House" in the other forum, 9-10 threads down there is a recap from Mad Dog and within that a link to pics. Olli's car is in pics 3, 5 & 6. The pics really dull the colour and don't do it justice. Reach out to Olli, I am sure he'll be glad to talk to you about it.

· Registered
2,607 Posts
Was very happy with my very first view of the painted car. Chrysler Blaze Red & Jaguar Silver.

Two years later still smile at it whenever I see it.

· Registered
6,102 Posts
My first build I was changing my mind up to the last minute even while at the paint shop. Since I'm a sucker for red, finally went with E4 Vermillion Red and still looks great. For the second build, told the painter I was looking for something a little deeper and this time metallic. His suggestion of Ford RZ Red Candy 2 was a knockout. Still amazed by the color, especially in the sunlight. Current Anniversary Roadster build goes to the same painter on Monday. Guess what color? Yep, Ford RZ Red Candy 2 again. Hope to be seeing another picture like this one in a few weeks. The white stripes are GM Arctic White BTW.

· Premium Member
17,958 Posts
That's a beautifull shade of Red. I found this pic on the web somewhere and would love to know hose car it is. Me and my son are trying to reproduce it with House of Kolor paints.
Looks like Candy Black Cherry to me...
I did one of my old Corvettes in Candy Red with Candy Black Cherry and Candy Brandywine stripes on the side...

Attachments

· Charter Member
1,246 Posts
This thread brings back memories. I couldn't decide between two colors, neither in the red color. One day I was driving home from work and got passed by a BMW M3 in Imola Red. Stopped at a local dealer who had one in his showroom, and that was it. Called StreetRod Painter, he liked it because it was a base coat/clear coat set-up (easy to repaint and blends well with original paint - ask me how I know?). Slapped a couple of GM white stripe on it and done. Paint is an individual thing, I like all the colors I see on this forum. Good luck with your choice, and when you get it painted - post pictures so I can admire it!

tim

· Baghdad Bob
877 Posts
great idea, I will check it out to see if my color has already been used.

· Charter Member
1,774 Posts
A lot of colors look good on a Cobra. I think the basic color of the 60's look the best.
Red, blue, green, white, silver, black, some yellows.

and one brown one

· Premium Member
17,958 Posts
Always think about resale... The funkier the color the harder to sale
You're right...
For most cars - you can't go wrong with "Re-Sale Red"... For Cobras, the best re-sale colors are blue/white stripes or white/blue stripes..

· Registered
1,015 Posts
Here's an interesting color combo thats a little different.
That is a colour I have considered along with changing my seats. Trouble is I don't know the exact paint code and seeing it on a monitor may not be the same in person. I believe this may be a Superperformance if I recall correctly.

· Registered
172 Posts
I think SCRACER said it below - this has been my dream my whole life. I had a vision of blue with white stripes in my mind, but never saw a match in real life. I stressed over it for a year, but the best advice I got was from my painter (Whitby). We talked through what I wanted and some suggestions he had. What came of that was Spectra Mica Blue with Arctic White stripes. I just got it back and it is exactly what I envisioned. It made my dream come to life.

My advice - keep doing what you are doing now: gather lots of information from people who actually know. Then, have a lot of discussion with your painter.

Attachments

· Registered
2,607 Posts
That is a colour I have considered along with changing my seats. Trouble is I don't know the exact paint code and seeing it on a monitor may not be the same in person. I believe this may be a Superperformance if I recall correctly.
Had the same problem. Even got two spray outs of what I thought was the right code based on the pictures.

Went down to Whitby's who was doing the car to see if we could find a better match in the books. Walking through the shop & saw a Hot Rod, not FFR, & that was THE COLOR.

A few weeks later the car was on a trailer & I was bringing it home a happy camper.:grin2:

· Registered
42 Posts
I'd originally had Viking Blue with white stripes as my choice but the pics I'd seen always different to how the car looked in real life. I also considered silver with black stripes and black wheels or Lexus Indigo Ink with white stripes.

However, not too far before I was due to paint my car, I saw a photo of our local Cobra club's meet. Blue, Blue, Blue, Blue, Silver, Blue, Blue. Seriously, six out of the seven cars were blue. I vowed I would not have another 'follow me' Cobra, and decided to go something completely different that hasn't been done in Australia. I went for McLaren Volcano Orange with black stripes and black wheels. Everyone who has seen the car has been blown away by the colour and I've received nothing but compliments. Some have also commended me for being bold and not doing another blue Cobra.

It's your car, your choice. I do recommend painting it a colour that is pretty much universally liked, as this will assist your resale value.

Not finished. Still have to paint the wheels black and letter up the tyres.

21 - 40 of 73 Posts