Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

· Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picking the color to have my car painted is nerve racking. My wife and I are trying to decide between two completely different colors.
So, have any of you picked a color, then been so disappointed you changed to something else?
I will follow up with our choice once we make our decision.

Thanks,
Doug

· Registered
293 Posts
Doug:. I let the color choices stew for the entire 2 year build! I just kept looking at cars (any cars) in the color choices my wife and I liked and finally settled on Ford "magnetic metallic" (graphite). These cars look good in almost anything, so whatever color you pick will work!
:smile2:

· Registered
272 Posts
I have spent most of my time doing my build thinking that I was going to paint my car satin blue with gloss blue racing stripes. However I have now started thinking of going with black with gunmetal racing stripes. I'm sure i will change my mind again before an eventual paint job that I hope will come in the spring.

· Registered
2,011 Posts
I still love my color even though the "blues" get dissed for being too common. Mine is an original 60's Ford color so it's a bit different. But Frank is right - these cars look great in any almost any color. I did see one with huge metalflake that I didn't love (think bass boat or dune buggy). My only advice is to make sure your wife is on board with you choice. Good luck. You really can't go wrong!
-Chas

· Registered
510 Posts
Chas,
I am a long way from getting to the paint, but have been struggling with the color. Wife and I agree we do not need another red, have a gray and tan for daily drivers, short story, we decided we need a blue car in the mix. I have not been able to say I am comfortable with the blue, so far. After seeing yours, I think there will be a short list. Any chance you can give me an exact year, or color name for the blue you have? I am impressed. I was about to drop the blue option, but really like the shade you have.

· Registered
419 Posts
Doug:. I let the color choices stew for the entire 2 year build! I just kept looking at cars (any cars) in the color choices my wife and I liked and finally settled on Ford "magnetic metallic" (graphite). These cars look good in almost anything, so whatever color you pick will work!
:smile2:
Frank,

Can you post a picture?! I'm picking the colors out now - Jeff Miller will be doing the painting, and we're looking at a mid-January date. I've been thinking of gun metal gray with black stripes - not sure about the exact colors. See below. The web site said gun metal gray and black.

Thanks,

Steve

Attachments

· Premium Member
3,885 Posts
Yes, for many of us, color choice was a challenge.
My car was prepped and ready for paint and I had narrowed the color choices down to silver, black, blue and red. :)

When I finally decided on red, I found out there were literally hundreds of reds to choose from.

Good luck. Like the others have said, they look good in (almost) any color.

· Registered
739 Posts
I've been building for 4 years, and it seems like every year, I have a different color in mind.
When I started, Toxic Orange as found on the dodge charger/challenger was my vision.
The orange colors have aged, and so have I, so I started swaying towards a dark metallic gray (especially magnetic gray like frankb)
This year, I got the car registered, and have been driving it in the bright red gelcoat, enjoying and appreciating red. I also like the idea that other cars will more easily see the bright red, low profile, light weight roadster before making an ill-advised maneuver in front of me. However, having driven a burnt orange mustang for a decade, I know that argument is a fallacy.
If I painted today, it would be magnetic grey with a bright red stripe (similar to the summit racing roadster). Maybe next year, it'll be flipped to bright red with a metallic stripe.
And of course blue always looks good. My wife has steadfastly held to this color preference, and maybe I'll cave in to her preference before it is finally painted!
Bottom line, these cars seem to look good in any color.

· Senior Charter Member
2,409 Posts
I absolutely had no doubts about what color my car would be, after all, i've been dreaming about it my whole life!

Mine is blue because the very instant i open the garage door and see it, my vision for a Cobra is blue with white stripes. it's been my dream car forever. If mine weren't blue i just know i'd have disappointed myself over and over again.

Close your eyes and see your car...what's the first color you see it in? That's your baby!

Have fun with the build!

· Junior Charter Member
1,396 Posts
I absolutely had no doubts about what color my car would be, after all, i've been dreaming about it my whole life!

Mine is blue because the very instant i open the garage door and see it, my vision for a Cobra is blue with white stripes. it's been my dream car forever. If mine weren't blue i just know i'd have disappointed myself over and over again.

Close your eyes and see your car...what's the first color you see it in? That's your baby!

Have fun with the build!
Is that blue indigo ink?

· Premium Member
5,811 Posts
No regrets but whenever I see pictures of any of the many beautiful cars here, it does inspire 'secondbuilditis' an incurable condition only treated symptomatically by starting another FFR build. I'm told recurrence of the condition is likely despite repeated iterations of build-another therapy.

:grin2:

Sean

· Baghdad Bob
877 Posts
How about red? 2005 Shelby fire mist pearl.
That's a beautifull shade of Red. I found this pic on the web somewhere and would love to know whose car it is. Me and my son are trying to reproduce it with House of Kolor paints.

Attachments

· Registered
419 Posts
Frank,

Can you post a picture?! I'm picking the colors out now - Jeff Miller will be doing the painting, and we're looking at a mid-January date. I've been thinking of gun metal gray with black stripes - not sure about the exact colors. See below. The web site said gun metal gray and black.

Thanks,

Steve
Frank - never mind! I see you posted pictures on a separate thread!! Looks good! :yes:

Steve

· Registered
293 Posts
Steve: Sure! But it'll have to wait until Monday when we return home. In the mean time, you can see some photos in my graduation post: "FFR8317 Graduation Day" in this forum. :wink2:"

· Registered
614 Posts
I don't know if this helps you or not, but there is something I've done for a few GTM guys and a Coupe guy...

They sent me photos of their car, or another with the same exterior accessories (wing/splitter, etc), from a couple of different angles, and I photoshopped different colors and stripe patterns for them. I've also done virtual wheel swaps, and two interiors. I can mimic pearl and metallic effects, as well. What I CANNOT do is duplicate a specific color code. I can come close, but the variances in display and photograph quality just make it impossible to get that close. But I can give you a good idea of, say, a graphite gray vs. a medium gray vs. a metallic battleship gray, with red, black, or white stripes.

I'm sure that the people won't mind, so here is an example....

Attachments

1 - 20 of 73 Posts