Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Painless wireing harness and donor style alternator????

252 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Rob 
#1 ·
I have a 130 amp alternator with the "I, S,and A" terminals on back with the high output lug also and the single small plug. I was wondering how everyone hooked these to the Painless harness. I have the Caltermann factory ford style plug to connect to the harness. I have everything hooked up now and it is chargeing but I want to confirm that i have it hooked up right. I did a search and came up with some contradicting ways for this hook up. Please let me know.
thanks,
Jon :confused:

#2 ·
I am assuming you have a 3G style alternator based upon the amperage rating you identified. I used the kit from PA-Performance.com. You can link to thier instructions here. How to Wire Your Alternator You can make this plug out of the one you have by using a 470-510ohm resistor in place of the resistor shown in the instructions. I move the resistor to the white wire in the Painless harness that goes to the Alternator behind the dash so it was away from the engine heat. If you have any question email me directly.

#4 ·
Doug,

What's the purpose of the resistor? Okay, okay, I should restate that
. Why is it necessary to limit the current going to that terminal on the alternator? The wiring instructions I obtained off the 'net didn't indicated I needed this resistor. It's charging okay, but I certainly don't want to toast my alternator due to my ignorance. How did you find out that this should be a 470-510 ohm R? Does the factory wiring diagram indicate this? Thanks Doug.

Mike

[ July 12, 2002, 10:02 AM: Message edited by: MikeBraddock ]

#5 ·
The resistor is to limit the current to the alternator field as is was explained to me. I do not know if you will damage your alternator without it but the Painless wiring book I have call for it. The stock wiring harness does not have a resistor because it has an "idiot light" to tell you when the alternator is not charging. The resistor takes the place of the light.

As far as the value, when I ordered a harness from PA-Performance I asked the guy what the value of the resistor was. He stated that if was 500 ohms. I confirmed this when I received the harness with a multimeter. Radioshack sells 470 or 500 ohm resistor. Either one will work. Hope this helps. You might try to post this on the Engineer Ed help section. He may have a better explanation.

#7 ·
Jon

Painless has excellent tech support. I talked with them several times during my build. Give them a call and let us know what you find out

800 423-9696

[ July 12, 2002, 12:11 PM: Message edited by: John / My427SC ]

#8 ·
Did you all notice that on the Pa-Performance instruction sheet is Ollis Cobra from the forum... actually its pic of the month! Just seeing who's observant and pics up these things!

Rgds

Rob

[ July 12, 2002, 12:50 PM: Message edited by: Rob ]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.