Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright folks, we're in the process of putting together CRIII. We've got the date set, Saturday, June 4th, and probably June 5th too. Rain date will be Saturday, June 11th (let's pray we don't need it). The location is confirmed, it will again be in Washingtons' Crossing Park. I'm pretty sure that Rob Weatherby from Speed and Assembly will attend and bring his dyno.

Food will be catered BBQ, and like last year, we're going to allow anyone who wants to bring a dish to do so. It was a big hit last year.

What we need help with is the poker run. Last year was a fantastic run, but I'd like to see if we can come up with new and better stops. So what would your suggestions be? A speed shop? Historical sites? Stop in New Hope, where there will be lots of people to check the cars out and lots of quiant little shops? The plan is to leave the park lunch/show around 2-2:30 pm or so, and we hope to make the last stop of the run at a spot where anyone who's staying for dinner can eat.

So what do you suggest? And anyone who is local, I'd love any help in planning the driving route if we need to alter it from last year.

Steve

[ January 19, 2005, 08:13 AM: Message edited by: Klayfish ]

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,854 Posts
Steve,

Since I am new to the area and very local to you I would love to help out. Poker runs are great.. Any interest in a "legal" gumball run? Timed drive from place to place within the poker run. Set up the trip knowing the exact distance and speed limits. Those within the best time with out GOING OVEr or more importantly coming in too quick will get points. End of the run closest to the perfect time can get a prize?

We had one of these a few years back and it was a lot of fun. Through in some trick turns and make up some maps that are not so clear in you have yourself a contest... GPS optional!

Not knowing the area all that well I can not suggest too many stops.. Let me know about helping out and I will see what I can do..

·
4.6 Terminator Trailblazer
1,743 Posts
Let me know if there is anything I can help with.

Anyone got a trailer so I can bring my Go-Cart
Assuming it's in that stage by then
I just got the frame back last night from the powder coater and I'm ready to put parts on it for real now, I can hardly wait. :D
Anyone want to come over? :D

·
FFCobra Fanatic
587 Posts
I'm not new to the area, just new to the Cobra forum and car building in general. Currently in the process of building FFR 5437 and probably will not be ready for the run on the 4th. But, let me know if I can help out in any way. I really need to talk to some other local FFR guys.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Joe,
I love the gumball rally idea, but probably best to stay away from anything "timed", only for sheer liability reasons. So we'd probably stick to a simple poker run. But maybe we can come up with some kind of twist or idea on it.

PhysicsGeek,
Glad to hear you got your frame back. Sorry about not having the Suburban ready. If you aren't road ready by June, we can certainly tow your car behind my Suburban then. :D The only help we could use at this point is the poker run. Everything else is good for now. As the time gets closer, we'll probably need help. I'll be happy to help you with putting parts on the car. Just remember to be patient with me, I'm not much of a wrench turner. But I'm eager to learn.

Ben,
By all means, please join us. You don't need a Cobra to attend. I'm sure we'll have other get togethers before then, so maybe we'll get to catch up to each other sooner. Check out our local site at www.midatlanticcobras.com If you have any poker run suggestions, let me know.

Steve

·
7,097 Posts
Hey Steve...how about at each stop there is something that has to be identified. Could be a particular sign, odd shaped building etc. Each car must write down what they think the answer is...whoever has all the answer at the end wins a fur lined sink or a croceted bathtub...mebbe throw in a wind sandwich and air dip!

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mike,
You need a vacation!!! Why don't you head down to Disney or something. :D Are you suggesting something like a "treasure hunt" idea?

Steve

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,318 Posts
I like the idea of the timed run. Steve, the timing is such that if someone goes either too fast or too slow they loose points. I don't think there'd be any additional liability with that than the poker run. It is not a speed event but an accuracy event.

I do put in a vote that we stop at the same ice cream shop again! YUM!

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,717 Posts
I'd love to make it, but with DVSF-V on the 22nd it just doesn't fit into the calendar.

ben

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Steve,
You have to forgive my nervousness about doing anything "timed", regardless of the circumstances. I work in the auto insurance industry, and anything "timed" is strictly forbidden. So it just sets off alarm bells in my head. But I'd definitely like to do something fun. Maybe we can work on the stops first, then work backwards and figure out a twist. I wrote "treasure hunt" above, what I mean to say was a "scavanger hunt". Maybe do something where we break into groups at some point, so we don't have 50 Cobras in a line and have to worry about traffic lights breaking us up???? Just throwing ideas into the wind.

Ben,
Sorry you won't be able to come up. The summer time always has something going on, so picking an ideal weekend is impossible. I chose this weekend because it's 3 weeks after Carlisle, but still 3 weeks away from DVSF V. We'll be at the Fling too, so June will be busy. :D

Steve

·
Registered
470 Posts
Klayfish, I would like to participate in planning and doing this get together. You can contact me by email or phone (570) 645-7191 or ping me on this forum. I missed last year's event but have already marked this year's in my calendar. Maybe when the weather breaks we can meet at a restraunt or diner to work on the event. If the newbie from Lansdale would like, I would be happy to meet with him to discuss build ideas with him. There are a few things I would do differently if I were to start over.

·
7,097 Posts
Steve,
I was thinking something along the lines of a scavanger hunt but instead of actually gathering items, each person gets a list of clues and they write down what they think the answer is.

For example: At Jimmy's, the clue could be something like
This comes from a nervous cow. Answer--Milkshake.
(pretty easy example but you get the idea)

At other places, it could be based on a prominent landmark or something.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bushidoman,
I've thought about trying to get a group together in early spring and working on the poker run and other details. The only problem I forsee is that we're fairly scattered. I was thinking about trying either a conference phone call or finiding an internet chat room we could use. I'd like to do it in person if possible, but if everyone is so far apart, it may not work. Thanks for the offer, I'll definitely take you up on it.

Mike,
I'd have never figured out your clue! :D I'm following your idea. What would be the end? Do we come up with a prize? Maybe I'll mull some of the ideas over during the weekend storm while we're just sitting around...or I'll have plenty of time to think while I'm out shoveling. :rolleyes: :D

Steve

·
Registered
470 Posts
Klayfish, if you have a list of tasks and some kind of time table from last year you could send me a copy and I can become familiar with the details such that when we get together I would have a good idea of where I might be of help. Phone calls, emails, etc sound like a good start but maybe early April we could plan to drive our roadsters somewhere convenient and have a person to person meeting. Set out two or three weekends as potential meeting times and the first NICE weekend we could decide to meet. I'm willing to meet almost anywhere, Sundays are probably best for me.

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,219 Posts
I just want mine done by then!!!!! (or at least on the road......)

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Please take a look at the Events forum. We're holding a meeting on Saturday March 5th to discuss the planning of our poker run. The meeting will be in Bucks County, Pa. Final location to be determined, but either in the Langhorne area or Newtown. We'll meet for lunch. Please let me know if you can attend.

Steve

·
Registered
470 Posts
Klayfish, we will be on our way back from Florida vacation on March 5th. I would have loved to attend. Hope you guys have a great time doing the planning. We still have June 4th blocked out for the get together. Bill.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update....

We have set our meeting place. It will be at Goodnoe restaurant in Newtown. Their website is www.goodnoe.com It's close to the border of PA and NJ. We have our own private room, so it's very important I get a head count to give the restaurant. Having our own room will be great. It'll give us a chance to roundtable ideas without the noise and crowd of the dining area. Lunch will be $12 a head and include choice of sandwiches, tax and tip. More details are on our thread at www.midatlanticcobras.com

If you would like to attend, please let me know ASAP, so I can get a count.

Steve

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK, one last time to bring this up. I need a final head count if you can attend our planning meeting.

Again, it will be on Sat., March 5th at noon. Location is Goodnoes restaurant in Newtown, Pa. www.goodnoe.com for directions. I need to get an exact head count, as we're renting our own private room. Please let me know ASAP if you're attending.

Steve

1 - 20 of 26 Posts