Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering buying one of these to repalce my f-150 supercrew.The idea is that when I get where I'm going all of my kids stuff won't be at the front of the box causing me to either crawl to the front or unsnap my tonneau or both.
Any common glitches or things to watch for with these things?

·
Senior Charter Member
2,257 Posts
My wife and I own a 2000 Exp w/5.4 liter and have had the tires replaced and a shield put on the wiper motor due to recalls. I have replaced the front brakes at 57,000 miles but did alot of towing in those miles. I have towed a 22'-0" ski boat with 350 small block many, many times. I have always been extremely happy with it's capabilities. I have 2 kids and frequently take the in-laws on trips without taking another vehicle (seats 8 which is more than enough). My only gripe is the that the rear seat (80 lbs.) is removable, rather than folding down into floor like the newer ones.

·
Senior Charter Member
838 Posts
My wife drives 2001 Expedition(2wd XLT). No problems in 50,000 miles. The down side is that the thing handles like a boat. It has more body roll in a corner than a '62 Caddy.
My business partner just got an '04 Expedition, 4x4 (Lariet, or Bauer or whatever they are). I drove it for a day while my truck was at the Linex dealer, and it seems smaller than the '01. It didn't have the body roll problem(stiffer 4x4 shocks/springs?), and the air conditioned seats sure came in handy. Both trucks have 5.4's, 373 gears, trailer towing package, ect. I've pulled a 19' Stingray(runabout) with the '01 with no problems. Both trucks DRINK the gas. All in all, I prefer my Powerstroke.

·
Junior Charter Member
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Giff,I think it's kinda like sitting in a "koolatron" cooler,the seat has a switch that can be set to either warm or cool the seat.
I'd never seen one before until we took an 03 out for a spin,it's a weird sensation at first but I think if the climate you live in dictates that optiion you would appreciate it particularly on hot days with leather seats!

·
Husband/Father/Son
12,461 Posts
I've got a nice 2000 Expedition XLT 4X4. 5.4L engine, HD towing package, dual air, automatic and the third row bench seat.....I've towed both my open and enclosed trailers with it without a problem....Replaced the front brakes (rotors included) at 40,800 miles, serviced regularly it will last forever (ok, it will last for a long time)....We also haul my son and 5 of his closest friends around when we are going to the beach or the movies......Mileage will vary depending on your terrain........Without my 3,200lb enclosed trailer (empty or full, makes no difference), at a steady 70mph on the highway, I can squeeze out 15mpg.......Towing the enclosed trailer at a steady 70mph, I get 10mpg...........At 60mph, I get 15mpg without towing, and 11mpg towing.......So factor that in to your equation.....All in all, we love it.....gas mileage and all..............

Bill S.

·
Premium Member
10,830 Posts
I have 97' Expedition 4x4 Eddie Bauer with a 5.4L. No body roll problems. We love everything about it with the exception of gas mileage. We average around 13MPG, which is mostly local(in-town) driving. It tows very nicely and drives like a much smaller vehicle. The steering is too sensitive though. I think Ford tried too hard to make them drive like a car.

Problems I have had.
1. @ 80,000 miles, the driver's side pitman arm began squeaking. Bought a grease injection needle from Napa and injected some grease in the ball joint. No squeaking since.
2. @ 82,000 miles, the interior lights would not turn off. Soaked all the door latch mechanisms with penetrating oil. No problems since.
3. @ 85,000 miles, replaced an O2 sensor. Bank one, sensor 2.
4. @ 88,000 miles, spark plug # 5 blew out, taking the threads in the head with it. I fixed it with a heli-coil with the head still on the engine and replaced the coil and all plugs. Ford told me I couldn't repair the threads and would have to replace the head.
5. @ 90,000 miles, coil # 4 failed. Found that a heater hose connection is prone to leaking directly above this coil causing them to fail. Replaced the coil and sealed the connection with some Indian Head.
6. @ 95,000 miles, coil # 2 failed. Replaced with a new one.

Not too bad. It now has 110,000 miles and still running great. Overall, I have been extremely pleased with this purchase.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
We have a 98 Expedition Eddie Bauer 4X4 with the 5.4. 81000 miles. No problems what so ever. I have noticed some popping from the front end when turning and there is some stiffness? (unsure how to describe it) in the air suspension when they are returning to base position after turning the key off. Like the shocks are worn out, lack of lube. It is no longer smooth it kind of drops in a herky-jerky motion.

Other than that and the gas mileage we have been very happy. (We are seeing the same mileage as Bill above)

The newer ones to me look more plasticky. But the fold down seats to the floor is a killer feature I wish ours had

·
Registered
133 Posts
Badger,
I have a 2003 Expedition. I am extremely pleased with it so far. Great family car. I currently have close to 9000 trouble free miles on it. I use it to pull my 20ft enclosed car hauler and it moves along just fine. Ford has fixed some of the body roll, and rear seat problems. Newer models have IRS, and rear seats which fold flat into the floor. I would recommend the 5.4L if you plan on doing any towing. Overall great vehicle so far.
Greg

·
Junior Charter Member
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input guys,I'll probably be looking at the 2000 or 2001 model,anything newer than that will cause another project to be placed on the back burner and you know what that is & that will never do!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts