Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the mark 3, three link, 351, and all suspention upgrades avalible from ffr. I postes some time ago about the ability for this car to drift. I also posted about the g-force takd's, getting the reply that they will never just break loose, instead slowly begin to slide without, ever compleatly lossing it. (315-255)

Basicly im wondering with this package, will it understeer, oversteer, or be neutral. Also just wondering with the tires if i will be able to control and mild slide. This is preferable becouse i drive hard
, and without traction control it would be nice to know if i have time to react before the rear becomes the front. In the video from FFR (the music with my favoirte game) it apears the car slides nice but it seems he recovers it very quickly, as if he was about to lose it.

·
Premium Member
3,504 Posts
I would try little by little and find out for myself.

·
Senior Charter Member
4,270 Posts
From what I have read here over the years, it seems as though most racers buy top notch stuff and have to dail it in on the track. I think every car/driver is diffrent, and there is no proven combo that will give you what you are looking for right out of the gate. I would go hang out in the Autocross grandstand for awhile, those guys have alot of real world experience to offer.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
That depends on your driving style, your tires and other things. My car is set up similar to yours, for the most part. On the low speed autox courses, it tended to understeer, but I think part of that was my driving. I could easily induce power oversteer, but it certainly wasn't the fastest way around the track. On the open track, where speeds are much higher, the car was neutral up to about 8/10ths. But I definitely did feel the tail wiggle several times when I started to push harder. And from my autox experience, when the rear brakes loose, it does it in a hurry, so I was treading very lightly around those limits.

It goes without saying that you SHOULD NOT try this stuff on the street. The Cobra is very twitchy and can get away from you in a huge, huge hurry. Short wheelbase and high horsepower do not a safe combination make. But take it to a track, and it'll take hours to wipe the smile from your face!! :D

Steve

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it possible to compensate in for the twitchyness, iv heard that about them. Im hoping it dosent dart for ditches and wiggle around. Also my steering rack where two peices join, right before it enters the drives foot box has a very small wiggle any way to fix that, i might have to post this ? later by itself. ANd ill repost in the autocross.

·
Premium Member
3,504 Posts
I'm with Klayfish. A car like this probably can be tamed to a certain degree, but with the power and the short wheelbase this has its limits. Dialing it in with care will be the key, and you dont want to learn where the limit is on the public roads.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
It's probably best and safest to start with a bit of "push" so set your initial front end Camber to zero after your ride height has been set. Slight toe-in will also help to keep the car straight under heavy braking.

Then you'll feel and hear the front tires starting to give way first. As you become more familiar and smooth in corners with the car, then you can start to go a degree at a time negative on camber. Eventually you'll find the front biting about the same as the back on sweeping turns with steady throttle.

Best regards,

·
FFCobra Craftsman
22,710 Posts
I'm near where you are w/ a lesser package mostly due to 4-link rear susp.I've got 20 yrs autocross and SCCA regional racing experience but never in a car this light or powerful.I just got my power steering working last night so I will be able to confidently control the car for the first time.I run my first autocross in 2 weeks.I am giddy w/ anticipation but will approach this w/ caution.I will probably disappoint the spectators in 2 weekends but it's my car and I pay to fix it so..I will progress at my own pace.This will be a learning process helped greatly by this forum. There are so many variables w/ these cars, I don't think prediction is going to work.I will upgrade as I go cause I've already bought a few things I wish I could give back.OTOH, next summer I expect to be winning some trophies.Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts