Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Banned
6,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, i installed a round air cleaner just to see what it would look like, oval or round.
Which do you prefer?? I am having a hard time deciding which i like more.

With regular filter

·
Junior Charter Member
1,668 Posts
Oval, all the way, strictly for appearances, which are, of course, subjective

·
FFCobra Fanatic
948 Posts
I prefer the round. To me, the oval just looks sort of funny when there is only one carb under it.

·
Premium Member
5,159 Posts
Oval

·
Premium Member
18,134 Posts
A friend of mine drives a Unique. He had the oval air cleaner. He (and the dyno guy) noticed that the front of the oval air cleaner was in front of the hood scoop opening. They changed it to an open element round air cleaner, and picked up 18hp.

IMO, a round element with the K&N Filter top is the way to go.

·
Banned
3,817 Posts
Neither? Not trying to be difficult, but neither of the 2 samples is that flattering for your engine bay. Any other options ?

·
Banned
6,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
turboguy-Well, there aren't that many options that will work with the mass-flo systems. I am not sure what would be more flattering, but my hands are kind of tied to these two unless I add a supercharger. Not sure what i could do to make my engine compartment more flattering besides clean up the brake lines. I thought i had done a pretty nice job with everything
What are you runnin??

·
Premium Member
10,650 Posts
Round

·
Junior Charter Member
709 Posts
Oval

·
Shade Tree Mechanic
14,310 Posts
Oval definetly looks better since it matches the valve covers. I have the same thing, the only thing I don't like is that it covers my MSD dist. cover which look cool too. I see you have the K&N ...good idea, but you may want to consider what Bob says above. I'd like to see a apple to apples comparison with the oval K&N and the open filter round K&N? I can sure believe 18 HP with the filter that came with the oval it a real POS.

·
Chipping away at it !
205 Posts
Oval for sure !

·
3 Generations on a MkIII
1,415 Posts
Oval. Picture one is just sexy: it complements the valve covers. (Does that sound too 'queer eye for the straight guy'?)

Sence this is a 'vote' count oval again. My four year old likes pic one also.

BTW, I wish I had your problem...my FFR lower front tube arms are needing a bigger hammer.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
400 Posts
I'd have to agree with Matt. The oval only breathes 390 cfm, per Gordon.

Ron

·
Charter Member
215 Posts
Another vote for oval!

·
Banned
6,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I dont feel any difference between the air cleaners. However, i did not make it to the dyno today to test the new sidepipes from sweet-thunder, so, when i do make it, i plan on testing the air cleaners as well. The air cleaner that i have with the oval air cleaner is a K&N and is far from a POS.
For some reason the car actually stalls when coming to a stop with the round air cleaner-strange. I do agree that the factory oval style air cleaner element that is only 1" tall is a POS, but not this one.
We will find out soon what the difference is. The old debates like this always make the dyno runs more fun.

[ May 31, 2007, 10:40 PM: Message edited by: cobrastang ]

1 - 20 of 51 Posts