Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· FFR Bandit
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MY oval cobra air cleaner assembly won't clear my MSD Pro Billet Dist. by about 1/2".

Other than a carb spacer, what are my options?

Pictures and thoughts are appreciated as always!!!!

· 2010 FFCars Graduate
3,027 Posts
I don't have personal experience with your setup, but this isn't the first time I've seen this issue posted. I'm afraid you've already answered your own question. A carb spacer can solve your problem along with the added benefit of isolating the carb from manifold heat. You may find that this solution will create an issue with hood clearance though. Plenty of posts on that problem from those wanting to use that oval air cleaner.
Hopefully someone else with actual experience will chime in.

· Registered
1,340 Posts
MY oval cobra air cleaner assembly won't clear my MSD Pro Billet Dist. by about 1/2".

Other than a carb spacer, what are my options?

Pictures and thoughts are appreciated as always!!!!
I had the same problem and found that a spacer simply moved the problem to the back where the top of the cleaner (I went to the larger filter) would rub on the body.

The answer I found was to use a carb wedge like this:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MOR-65030/

I now clear the distributor but also have more than enough clearance at the back.

HTH
Todd

· section 8
5,135 Posts
see if there is a shorter cap , years ago , on my FE I had to use the Ford crab type cap (Flat with the wires on the side) On my 408 I have a Ford dist (efi ) and it clears fine and so far it's got 5k on it , 5 times what the mdsd unit lasted

· Registered
341 Posts
My oval air cleaner fits just fine for the body, where I had the problem was with the Vintage Air Cobra kit, I had to cut a little off the plastic housing for it to fit once that was done made a simple patch to over the hole then painted the patch a wrinkle black. With the body on you don't even see it.

· We know what you're up to
4,700 Posts
Maybe you should look for a shorter distributor...not the most ideal solution, but you don't have much room for a spacer with a 408w.

· Registered
11,831 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.