Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been out there banging way too long. (baby taps mind you) I know both axles have 2 c-clip retainers but on the outer cv they recommend tapping off with a hammer, how in the world do you get the outer retainer clip off so you can tap the cv off??? Do you leave it on there and hope everything comes off in one piece?
I'm lost.
TIA for any help,

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
2,034 Posts
Hold the shaft with one hand. Smack the outer edge of the CV joint. The clip is on the shaft. If it won't come off hit it harder.
Jeff Hamilton

·
Charter Member
635 Posts
You have to hit it pretty hard to get it off. I was afraid I would damage it and tried tapping it at first and it wouldn't move. I ended up mounting the shaft in a vise and holding the end to one side to get the outer race away from the inner part that is on the shaft and my friend just hammered on it until it came loose. It seemed pretty brutal, but it came off with no damage. It seems like it won't budge but then it just pops off with one very hard blow.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So is the outer clip (the one you cant see), a compression type? Meaning, when the spline section meets it, it compresses and allows the CV to go over the top?
If so, sounds kinda brutal indeed... I'll have to relieve some frustration tomorrow evening since the other half just retired for the day...

·
Charter Member
635 Posts
Yes. If I remember correctly the splines are beveled just enough to compress the ring. At least reassembling them with the new shafts is a lot easier...but that cv grease is a mess.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A "mess" is the understatement of the day! Meanwhile I have to audit 4 foodservice places today with hands raw from scrubbing all night. (gotta set a good example) ;)
Thanks for the help guys, I'll get out the big hammer tonight and find out how this thing works, once and for all.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Keith,

In addition to holding the axle in a vise, I
slipped a piece of steel pipe over the axle before I put it in the vise. Use this to pound on the CV joint. You can see the spider braces where the pipe will contactinside the CV joint. Make sure the pipe is large enough ID to allow you to slam it good and then get ready to catch it.

Hank
FFR 17767-II

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With my trusty Vise (I mean Wife) holding it with both hands, the mighty hammer won once more.
Thanks for the help, #2 comes off tonight, I'll have to properly prepare my trusty Vise once more... (now where did I put the rum?)

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rum didn't work so I had to cook dinner...
Disassembly of #2 was a cinch. Both axles are awaiting lube and band clamps. I'm happy that little project is somewhat over. It'll take months to clean up the mess...

·
FFCobra Fanatic
690 Posts
Here's how I did it. Remove the inner CV joint, it comes off pretty easy. Get a pice of 1.5" ID black pipe from Home Depot, 2 feet long or so. Slide the pipe over the donor axle shaft,(half shaft), lay on floor, on LOTS of news paper, and whack the end of the pipe with your Chevy tool, the heavier the better. VIOLA!! The assembly is now in 2 pieces, and you have CV grease from here 'til next Wednesday.
WARNING!!!!!........WARNING!!!!!.......

DO NOT TAKE APART THE BEARINGS IN THE CV JOINTS!! NIGHTMARES FOR WEEKS ON END WILL FOLLOW!!! RESIST THE URGE TO FOOL WITH THEM!!!!

Later,

Greg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts