Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
FFCobra Craftsman
24,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did some upgrades over the winter and ran one autocross to enjoy the benefits. The next Sun AM, on the way to the local Cobra breakfast,I was messing w/ my coffe mug,the road curved, I didn't,and totaled the car into a tree. So this car is gone

But I found this one here in the classifieds.

Acted as fast as I could so as not to lose the opportunity and brought it home, w/ the help of two great friends, from Savannah, GA last weekend.1200 miles in two days w/ 600 of it in a Cobra isn't much fun.but it sure beat the shipping quotes I had gotten.And WOW, an Engine Factory 351/400hp, even w/ a 3.08, is a lot faster than a stock 5.0 w/ a 3.55.Fortunately I had time to get 2 yrs of upgrades, incl. Koni DA's,3 link,VPM rear bar, PS pump,lines and Heidt's valve,Quality Roadsters heat/AC unit etc out of the old car before it was hauled away.lot's of work ahead but, in the long run, moving to a late MkII w/ the above engine and a TKO 500 will be a really nice upgrade.Only downside is I have to figure out final bodywork and paint.I was lucky to find this car and am very lucky to have a wife who Ok'd it.Three minutes after joining me at the crash site she said," Can the next one be blue w/ white stripes?" AND she was OK when i replied, " How about white w/ blue stripes?"

·
Charter Member
248 Posts
CraigS,

Sounds like everyone was ok (the most important part). You are fortunate to have a good wife as well to let you continue and purchase another.

Good luck with the new toy and keep us posted on the body work progress.

Ben

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,526 Posts
Glad you were okay and everything worked out well. Look forward to following the build-up.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Man hate to hear you lost the cobra. Great that you wasted no time getting another one so quickly. New car on the road yet? When you comming up this way? We need to hook up on one of those outings you have down there.

·
Premium Member
12,326 Posts
Glad you are ok and in good spirits!

Do you have any more info on how the car held up in the crash? Pics or anything we can use to see the restult of impact and effectiveness of the crash protection? Did I miss another thread with that?

Again, glad to hear you are ok and the wife is still receptive to the idea of the new one!

·
FFCobra Craftsman
24,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No pics, I just didn't want any.I'll remember it the way it was at the last autocross.the frame rails buckled upward just behind the front LCA rear attachment points.that pivoted the whole x brace rearward at the top which buckled all the 3/4x3/4 tubes running back toward the firewall.may have moved the 2x3 under the dash,but i think it was just the fiberglas moving too.The doors were pushed out at the front and overlapped the front fenders about 1/2 inch. All in all, it absorbed the hit pretty well-that is as far as crush zones to reduce/spread impact way of thinking.of course an Mk II or III might be better but at least no injury to me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts