Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent all day yesterday hooking up all of my 5 computers in a network, so that I can be more productive, all 5 computers have internet access thru the cable modem via a router, they all also share the printer.
here's a couple of pictures of 3 of the PC's (and there's 2 more in another room) (all showing the FFCars.com homepage):

:D

[ August 03, 2002, 05:58 PM: Message edited by: FFCars4Me ]

·
7,097 Posts
How many can you sit in front of at once?

·
FFCobra Fanatic
381 Posts
Sergio,
You're sick man. Here I am trying to figure out what ONE computer to get and you figure out how to hook up 5! :eek: That's cool, wish I knew how to do all that stuff.

Chad

·
Senior Charter Member
366 Posts
you need to get a KVM (keyboard video mouse) switch to control them all from one KVM. it's really cool (Ive got 4 computers each per monitor/keyboard/mouse).

Although you dont count as a complete computer dork until you setup a Cisco Call Manager Voice Over IP telephone system in your home...

What kind of firewall are you using? I've got a PIX 501 w/ 3DES tied in via a VPN to my home offices in michigan and las vegas (running Voice Over IP so Im on both phone systems while Im at home).

ttyl
-Brad Ellis
CCIE#5796 <-- Geeky Cisco certification

·
FFCobra Craftsman
767 Posts
Hey, Ironbrad:

What's the complications and costs to doing VoIP? There seems to be so much mixed info on the web.

I have a cable modem, and router...and figure I can use the unused bandwidth for inexpensive longdistance phone calls.

-steve in nj-

·
Premium Member
14,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tom, I do get out!
someone has to go get beer from time to time.

Horizon,
Actually now, with Brad's suggestion I could connect all 5 computers to only one monitor and control them with just one keyboard and mouse.
Right now I can only seat in front of two at the same time, but the good thing about having a network is that you have access from one computer to the computer that is in another room, making file sharing a breeze, so I don't actually have to get up and go to that computer to look for a file that I have there, I could just go thru the network and get it.

Chad,
Sorry Dude! get A Dell!

IronBrad:
what brand KVM are you using? I'm very interested in using a KVM (thanks for the suggestion!) , I was checking around and found this one (uses USB ports):
http://www.iogear.com/products/product.php?Item=GCS1714 and found this site that sells it cheaper: KVM switches Online
What do you think of it?
also this one:
IOGEAR MiniView II USB GCS124U

Maybe after hooking up a KVM switch then I'll start thinking on doing a Voice Over IP, my computers are getting old, same as me....
Thanks

[ August 04, 2002, 01:57 PM: Message edited by: FFCars4Me ]

·
Registered
238 Posts
KVM's are the bee's knees. I run a Cybex 8 port to 7 boxes and one monitor and then have one sperate systems so I can watch server activity without switching.

Originally posted by ironbrad:
Although you dont count as a complete computer dork until you setup a Cisco Call Manager Voice Over IP telephone system in your home.
It's almost as addictive as the thirst for horsepower :D Once you achieve the ranking of "complete computer dork", you can then go for your "black ninja geek" by running a full T1 into your home. Not a DSL T, not a frame cloud T, but a full "point to point" T1, into a Cisco 1601, then dispersed into 2 Netgear 8 port FS508 switches.

my crud :D

One thing to note on KVMs that effected my decision is refresh rate. Some of the smaller units are limited on what you can set refresh too. Sometimes it is as low as 65mhz which is like looking into a strobe light. Some are 75 and then some of the better ones are 85mhz and up.

OK, here is another geek test...what's your resolution set to? :D A true geek settles for no less than 1600x1200 to fit more code and data on the page :D

Andy
http://www.cobralads.com

[ August 04, 2002, 04:07 PM: Message edited by: andy dunn ]

·
Charter Member
272 Posts
Sergio & Brad, you guys are way too geeky! :D

After having PCs connected through a Cisco switch, and KVMed to a nice big monitor, you'll eventually step up to the next level, his/hers laptops with 50mW 11Mbit/sec wireless, so you can surf anywhere in the house!

I've ordered from buykvm.com twice and had great service.

·
Premium Member
14,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Michael,
Geeky but with a Cobra! that's what counts.

The God of the geeks is definetaly Andy, he takes top honors!
After seen his setup, makes me say I'm not worthy! I'm not worthy!

Well, I just ordered one of these:
http://www.buykvm.com/catalog/kvmswitches/1529.asp

but not from buykvm but from this place: (it's $25 cheaper!):
http://www.kvm-switches-online.com/iogear-miniview-usb-kvm-switch-gcs1714.html

I think it wil be good enough for me, someday when I grow up I want to be like Andy.

[ August 04, 2002, 05:29 PM: Message edited by: FFCars4Me ]

·
Senior Charter Member
366 Posts
4-port kvm from compusa, $65 (dont forget to buy the cables too)
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=288126

The VoIP phone system Im using is a Cisco Call Manger system with a 2620 gateway router, and 7960 IP phones. The whole phone system to purchase new would be cost equivalent to (2) FFR cobras fully-built (using all stock donor parts and nicely painted).

For a little home point-to-point VoIP solution, you might want to check out microsoft netmeeting or intel's voice&video conferencing solution. The video part is pretty cool, it adds a nice little touch. (I bought that for my mom for her bday, now we can do voice/video over the internet from chicago to las vegas).

My screen res is only 1152x864 due to my 18.1" LCD monitor. Any higher screen res than that, and my eyes will go blind. I did just convert our company's MS Access database backend to an SQL 2000 Server backend with a database shared via a publisher in vegas with a subscriber in michigan. Not to mention, in my previous residence I had two telco-racks bolted into the basement floor with over 12 routers/switches in each rack...so, IMHO, you're not a total computer geek unless you've got a few 19" racks bolted into your basement floor or rolling around on casters somewhere in the house (and you dont need to run a heater during the winter because your computer gear puts off enough heat to not only heat the house, but cook a nice roast as well).

Anyone want to swap computer help for help building my cobra??? I know lots about computers, but not a darn thing about cars!!!

-Brad

·
Premium Member
14,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
posted too late Brad!
I went to Fry's electronics here in town and checked out what they had in KVM switches, bought a couple of USB 2.0 pci cards to add to my computers (9 dlls each!, after rebate of course), decided to go to CompUSA to see what they had there, just the one you showed here and a few Belkins, None of these places had the USB kind, so Came back home and placed my order online.
Thanks to you for your help in directing me towards KVM switches.
I gotta go now and install those USB cards.

Later

[ August 04, 2002, 05:44 PM: Message edited by: FFCars4Me ]

·
Senior Charter Member
577 Posts
You guys need to get VM ware. Also forget the kvm boxes and get pc anywhere you can control as many computers with it.

·
1,033 Posts
and.....we are both surfing from two different laptops, via wireless network and a satellite connection. Life for two geeks is nice :D

I have surfed the internet from the kitchen while fixing dinner ;)

[ August 04, 2002, 10:23 PM: Message edited by: Chick FFR Racer ]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts