Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighbor asks me to help him clean a large lot this weekend. A lot of junk, an old truck, trailer, black top paving materials and this:

It's a SNAP-ON tool box filled with SNAP-ON tools.
The only problem is everything is extremely rusty.

My question is: Will SNAP-ON take these inoperable tools back (like CRAFTSMAN at SEARS)?

·
1,418 Posts
Muratic acid that you use in swimming pools will work instantly. Just rinse with water and wipe dry. A very lite coat of oil an "wala" a new tool.

·
7,097 Posts
YOU FOUND IT!! My long lost tool box full of rusty tools that fell off my truck! :D

·
Senior Charter Member
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmmmmmm

SNAP-ON FAQ's

For SNAP-ON® brand hand tools (other than torque wrenches) and tool storage units, the warranty is a LIFETIME warranty - it is effective for as long as you own the tool.
The drawers don't work that well (if at all).
I'll see about the rest of the wrenches/sockets.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Madmax, they will take them back. Period. End of story! I have returned rusted and corroded/chipped tools already. They will give you no hassle. That is why Snap-On tools cost sooo much. Nice find, enjoy, Scott

·
Professional Internet Browser
9,945 Posts
But don't you have to be the origonal owner for that garantee to work? I would take the tools in small batches to different snap on trucks. IMO they would be more willing to replace 5 than 50.

·
12,650 Posts
A (long) while back a friend of mine was at the dump and found where a bunch of broken tools had been dumped (from guaranteed replacement). THEY were all broken.

This guy slowly RE-returned them all for new ones. Not exactly ethical, but he did it.

The ethical thing for you to do is to clean them up and use them. Snap on does not actually owe you any thing.

earl

[ December 02, 2002, 01:54 PM: Message edited by: CobraEarl ]

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,076 Posts
Ospho. Rust converter. Can be had from Ace Hardware or other stores. Just brush it on everything rusty, it'll turn grey and not rust any more. Hopefully the tools aren't all so rusty that they don't fit/work.

·
Charter Member
215 Posts
1st- Check with any Snap-on Guy. He should exchange all of the tools. It is a factory thing!

2nd- Don't sand-blast
3rd- Don't muratic acid bath these 'beautys.'

4th- Use OSPHO. It is much less radical than 'muratic acid.' It will also seal the rust spots with a phospatic coating which will inhibit further rusting... OSPHO is the best. A couple of treatments may be necessary to totally remove the rust. Any steel parts - after paint removal treat steel surfaces with OSPHO to seal, etch, etc. Let the OSPHO dry completely. Inspect and remove any spots that appear as ash-like with a stainless cleaner brush, tooth-brush size. Then, the item is now ready for a coat or two of real paint. It is the best!!! OSPHO is for me. It has been in the marine industry for years and years. Removes rust, seals surface, prepares for paint all in one easy step. HINT- Wear old clothes and do not splatter the OSPHO as you will have some holes in your old clothes after you do the washing. You won't see this until you do the laundry... Best of Luck! :cool: :cool: :cool:

·
Senior Charter Member
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the reply's.

I'm currently trying to track down the Snap-on truck. He's quite a "moving target" to catch up to.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
717 Posts
Ahhh....pretty neat find!

But my roots are starting to show. Have you thought about calling the local Cop Shop?

Maybe, just maybe they're not quite as "cool" as you think they are.

Usually just a descripton over the phone can give you the answer.

Just a thought....
DV

·
Registered
318 Posts
Here is the deal. Snap-On tools warranty is just like any other manufacter in the market place. The tools a warrantied for manufacter defects and workmanship to the orignal owner. This means the tool is warrantied only if you were useing it as the manufacter intended it to be used. For example, a screw driver is NOT a pry bar.

I thing you should stop while your a head. As posted earlier clean them up and enjoy.

As for the toolbox model KRA59. The drawer runners are replaceable. For all drawers except the bottom drawer use part# 8-257. You will need 16 of these and two part #8-567 for the bottom drawer.

·
Charter Member
215 Posts
Cobraman Dave- You are the MAN!
Part numbers and all.

AS FOR CALLING THE FUZ... While walking the beach you find a 'gold dubloon and some silver pieces-of-eight' :D ... Now what :confused: --- call the State of Florida to tell them of your find??? :cool: Now, wait and see how many 'state agents' from as many 'state agencies' call on you wanting to confiscate the find for the good of the STATE'S history????? :mad:

Later, after you paid the 'blood-sucking attorneys' their due :mad: . You get the coins back!!! :cool:
They go to the 'EVIDENCE ROOM' for your coins and all that the FUZ can find is an empty envelope with a note that simply says "Thanks for the donation." :mad:

This sounds quite familiar! Well, doesn't it?!?!

When you're out for a ride, is your heart racing and there is a committed surveillence for the local 'gumball machine' equipped crusier???
Trust me they are not your friend... and...you will never see those Snap-on's ever again.

Moral of story: WHY TRUST 'BIG BROTHER' EVER???
I WON'T AND NEITHER SHOULD YOU!!!!! :mad:

·
FFCobra Fanatic
717 Posts
PS... "I AM" big brother - retired.

DV :cool:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts