Factory Five Racing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a something that I will use to cut metal stock for a go-kart project. Is a Sazall a good choice? Is there something better for cutting metal? What features should I look for in a Sazall?
Thanks for the advice

View more Porter Cable items
QUICK CHANGE TIGER SAW

Revolutionary lock design allows quick and easy blade changes. Electronic variable speed switch of 0-2600 SPM lets you cut through a variety of materials at the proper rate for excellent results. Choose from reciprocal or orbital action for wood and metal. High capacity 1-1/8'' stroke. Includes saw, 6 tooth bi-metal blade, and heavy duty steel carrying case. UL listed. Double inslated.
Powerful 120 volt, 9.6 amp motor
Factory reconditioned, factory perfect

Porter Cable# 9737R

ITEM 51606-5VGA
$137.99

$114.99

·
Senior Charter Member
3,272 Posts
I have a Porter Cable one not the Tiger brand one but none the less, you will be extremely happy with it. I have had mine for about 5 years now and it goes through anything like butter. It is a awesome tool.
Todd

·
Premium Member
3,804 Posts
I am a pro-framer here in New England and have tried and gone through many many sawzalls! My saw by choice is by far the PorterCable Tigersaw! definitely spend the extra bucks and get the quick release too

·
Registered
673 Posts
I am an HVAC contractor and my saw of choice would be the Millwalke cordless, it has a quick change feature and the new one has a folding handle for thighter space access. I have used mine for about a year now and have had no problems with it.
Greg

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,854 Posts
If you do not already have a 18v cordless drill I found the 18v cordless drill/sawzall kit a perfect match for the build.. It has the quick release, extra battery so your always ready, and a very strong motor. I have the Portor cable plug in from years past but seem to always go for the cordless!

·
Premium Member
3,804 Posts
Devildog, if a HVAC recommends a certain sawzall, trust me, THEY ARE THE MASTERS OF SAWZALLS!. I caught a retired HVAC guy once with his grandchild on his lap pointing at all these goldplated sawzalls that he had mounted on the wall pointing out how they were awarded to him for the hacking that he did on some perfectly beautifully framed houses! :mad:

·
Registered
100 Posts
I call mine a zippy saw because it zips through about any thing. Think of it as a motorized "John Wayne" opener

·
Premium Member
18,168 Posts
Porter Cable definatly makes the best hand tools. But it seems to me that you were asking what tool would work best for your go cart project. As much as I love a sawzall, I sometimes find it difficult to perfectly straight cuts with a free hand tool.

For good straight cuts in steel stock, I use a 14" DeWalt chop saw. I like being able to get a perfectly straight cut every time. And It's easy to set a jig to create the same piece more than once. It's also very easy to cut exact angles every time. As a bonus, it creates a very cool spray of sparks out into my driveway.

·
Senior Charter Member
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bob
Good catch. Actually I think I need both tools. I have a chop saw but I guess I need a metal cutting blade. I still want a Sazall (need more tools)

·
Premium Member
18,168 Posts
You're welcome. As for the sawzall, I use a Milwaukee plug in. I expect it will last me at least ten years, if not longer. It's not a tool I use every day, so I don't need all the fancy doo-dads like quick-anything. I also think it will be a rare day when I use it out of my garage, so a power cord is pretty easy to come by. Plus, it's ready to use all the time. If I leave it on the shelf for 6 months, I don't have to recharge it to use it for a five minute cut.

On the other hand, my mother uses one for yard work, so her cordless Milwaukee is perfect for her.

Life's a trade off. You just have to decide what you need most, and what you're willing to pay for.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
381 Posts
For what it's worth, I have both corded and non corded flavors. Both have quick change, IT IS AWESOME!!!! As far as which one to get? I grab the cordless one first but depending on the size of the job I usually wind up getting out the extension cords and using the corded one. All in all, the corded(Porter Cable) one has never let me down or needed repair. The cordless one needs batteries every couple of years and I'm told that I'm lucky to get more than about a year, year and a half out of them.

Chad

·
Registered
673 Posts
with cordless tools if you always use the battery up before rechargeing they will last a long time, I have drills that are ten years old and still using the same batteries with them, what you realy need to get is a kit with two batteries and then you will have a spare one charged up.
Greg

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,920 Posts
I bought a cheap 18v portable from Harbor Freight for $40 and I'm very pleased with it. I don't use it for a living, but it sliced the Mustang body into chunks without a hitch.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
381 Posts
Greg,
10 YEARS!?!?!?! Thats great. Man I wish my Dewalt batteries would last that long. I replaced the last pack with some nickel metal hydried(sp?) cells and so far they are holding up great. Can't wait for the lithium-ion(sp?) batteries to get cheap enough. I use a discharger to drain them completely and let them cool off before attempting to recharge them and still only get a couple of years out of them. I had a RC Car guy make my discharger to discharge the cells at the same rate as the saw does so supposedly they would last longer but a couple of years is my record. But I have been abusing the new pack I built by leaving it on charge all of the time and not discharging it before recharging and it has worked really strong now for about 9 months! So far I like the nickel hydried(sp?) MUCH better than the nickel cadmium(sp?)batteries.

Chad

·
Cobra Builder/Driver
253 Posts
Unless you are a HVAC installer, I reccommend the corded Ryobi tiger saw (SAWZALL) for around $70 at Home Depot, a very good value. Plenty of power, well built, lighter than some others. I've had mine for two years no problems. Use good blades (Milwaukee etc.) Goes through metal like it's butter.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
The company that I work for Mfgs, all kinds of linear saw blades.If you were to go into the testing area,the saws you would see doing all the recip testing are Porter Cable.They really do get the crap kicked out of them,and they just keep on running.But anyway for nice straight cuts my vote has to be for a band saw,next choice for a home type project shop a...chop saw

[ September 03, 2002, 04:47 PM: Message edited by: Smitty ]

·
Senior Charter Member
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok I think I'm going to go with a corded sazall for my applications. Now what type of saw blade do I need for my chop saw to cut metal?

·
Premium Member
18,168 Posts
Just go to Sears (one of my favorite places) and look on the shelf. You'll be looking for a composite type blade that's smooth. Just buy one that fits your saw. Take a look at the chop saws on the shelf to see what you need.

I've never tried to put a metal blade in a wood saw. Don't even know if it will fit. So be sure and look at how it bolts to the spindle.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
381 Posts
I would think(and I use) blades with as many teeth per inch as you can buy. You can use blades with less teeth per inch on metal but it can get pretty violent if you use too rough of a blade. I buy the cheapest ones because it seems like they all wear out pretty fast so you might as well save money and get the cheap ones. Just my $.02 worth.

Chad

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.