Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of installing race decking(BLACK AND WHITE)in my 12x24 foot garage but i have some questions about installation that thye literature really doesn't spell out. Can this stuff be cut to fit or do you have to end with a full square? I want to fit a trim piece at the door side so I don't know if trimming will create a problem with attaching the edge trim. It seems my car is always up on jack stands will they punch through the decking? Where is the best place to buy the decking and what is the lead time? Thanks Chick

·
Over Engineerer
2,921 Posts
Sorry that I can't offer any advice or opinions on the Race Deck itself, but I have a suggestion about jack stands. If you put a square piece of ½” plywood (maybe 12”x12”) under the stands it spreads the load so it won’t hurt the floor. Also, if you permanently attach the plywood to the stands it makes it easy to slide them under the car without scratching the floor. My Dad has outdoor carpeting in his garage (I know, it sounds crazy, but he got it cheap) and there is no way you could slide a jack stand in place without the plywood base.

·
Junior Charter Member
582 Posts
Yes they can be cut pretty easily. While you can't see the edges in my picture we had to cut edges on both sides (so the floor is centered). Also the back side of my carage has built in closets where we had to cut around the edges and doors not to mention some pipes.

Let me know if you have any quetions or want pics of the edges.

It is fairly expnesive, have you look into regular Vinyl tiles? I couldn't use them because I live in a condo and technically the garage is shared space, so no permanent changes are allowed.

Race deck[/URL]

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
CUJO, That looks really sharp!!!! I'm talking about both the floor and your cobra. Did you install edge trim at the door opening?
Mike your man must have taken down the wrong number I'll give you a call sometime today.

·
Junior Charter Member
582 Posts
Thanks! The floor doesn't look so sharp now after all the snow we've had.

Yup, installed the edge trim at the garage entrance, gives it a real nice finished look.

·
Junior Charter Member
582 Posts
Thanks for the positive feedback!

Yeah black is a b***h to keep clean, but when it is there is nothing like it.

The hardtop was a prototype. Jeff knew if he didn't give it to me, I would have called him twice daily to nag him instead of the normal once daily :).

·
Junior Charter Member
582 Posts
More info:

Yes you can puncture the tiles. In order to get my jack under the car, I used ramp extensions and didn't notice they had a pin to locate them on the main ramps. Drove the car over them and sure enough it poked through.

That being said the tiles are very durable and resistance to chemicals, etc. I would either use the plywood as mentioned or put the stands on some 1 ft by 1 ft carpet tiles.

I purchased it directly from them out in Utah. It was around $2.90 a sq ft. Good customer service and delivered on time.

Just so you know it comes pre assembled in blocks of 4 of the same color. So if you want the 1 by 1 checkboard like my floor, you have to first sepearte them.

Any other questions, just ask!

Matt

·
Junior Charter Member
582 Posts
It was extra, but they threw it in for half the price it was listed for. Even at full price it would be a small component of the overall $$$$. I think it was $2 a foot so I only need 20 ft. Meanwhile I needed 800 tiles at almost $3 a tile! You do the math :-0

You need to buy some extra if you are cutting the edges because you will make mistakes! If your lucky the mistakes can be used somewhere else. Overall though the install is easy. A buddy and myself did it in about 6 hours. Once you get going it goes together quickly. Cutting the edges takes the longest part.

Yeah it certainly takes away the cold dampness. it really makes the garage fell like another room, not just a garage. Although with the sub freezing temps we've had the last month, i gotta admit I didn't hang out down in the garage too much. It is cold with the tile. Makes a big diffence when you kneel or lay down to get under the car or to look at something. Much nicer than leaning on concrete.

If I had to do it over again, I would seriously consider not getting white. It looks great clean but gets dirty quickly, plus right now where I park my daily driver is all brown anyway.

Matt

1 - 13 of 13 Posts