Factory Five Racing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
1,418 Posts
Seat belts or for the money, Helment laws or for the money, speed limits or for the money, You could throw away all the speed limit signs and I would still drive safely.

·
Senior Charter Member
710 Posts
Originally posted by SteveSS:
If you drive 70 in a 55, I bet you also drive 45 in a 30.
Really? I often drive 85 on the parkway in NJ, just going with the flow of traffic. I drive the speed limit or less in my neighborhood. Let's keep the sweeping generalizations to a minimum.

·
7,097 Posts
I think we have two extremes going here. Yes the fines imposed go to municipal funds, but I hardly think that seat belt laws were enacted to make money!

Howard,
I would hate to depend on what you got here in the court. Friendly advice is one thing but...I think the best advice is that you're about to mix it up with professionals on their turf....tread lightly. Unless you have compelling evidence that there was an error, you may get stung.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
"Jackasses" ?? Oh my! :eek: ;)
My question,,were you going 13 mph over the speed limit? I "occaisionaly" ;) drive over the speed limit. I'm usually very aware of what the local limit is. If I get caught breaking the speed limit, who's fault is it?
Well gee, I guess it's my fault!
But,,
If you weren't exceeding the limit, and you feel you were wrongly ticketed, fight it.
My .02 worth.
RR

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,333 Posts
I was going to post my $02 on this topic...then realized that would only help this Forum to travel down the same path that killed the Cobraforum (or at least put it on the critical list). :(

I think someone already said it - but the general rule on CF is to treat discussions here like a dinner party conversation - no negativity, religion, or politics...please.

·
Premium Member
18,226 Posts
The question should be did you break the letter of the law, or the intent? Intent is public safety, and that's a good thing.

If you're traveling down I-25 south of Pueblo CO at 90 mph on a clear summer day, who is at risk? Nobody. If you're doing 30 through a school zone at 8 o'clock on a Tuesday morning, who is at risk? The school kids. If you're traveling down I-25 through downtown Denver CO at 55 mph on a snowy winter night, that's too fast, and everyone around you is at risk. If you're doing 75mph in a Cobra, that's pretty damn safe. But that same speed in a heavily loaded SUV towing a travel trailer isn't safe at all. In the above situations, who gets the ticket? And who is deemed "Legal", and therefore "Safe"?

The risk, and therefore enforcement, should be relative. But we know it isn't. We know it's for the money. Grandma doing 60 mph down the left lane of I-25 never gets a ticket, regardless of how unsafe that is. That's because there's no fine involved.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
767 Posts
I have a bunch of tickets from the Highway. 80ish in a 65. Some by myself, some following traffic and being unlucky enough to be the one pulled over. I don't think I was being unsafe whatsoever. I'd rather be going 85 mph at 3 am, then fall asleep with the cruise control on 65. They want their $$

Around town, I follow the speed limit, esp on any residential streets. Hell, I don't even go 25mph by my house since I know there are lots of kids.

-steve in nj-

·
Gruntled Member
264 Posts
Barry, I promise not to start any political arguments, but I reserve the right to tell someone who I think is acting like a jackass why I think so! ;)

Also, our cars are used in the real world, and therefore real world issues such as politics are related! I think it would be a bad idea to ban any kind of discussion here - just remind us what we're supposed to be talking about when we get off track. For example, CobraEarl and I apparently have very different political views, but I think it is healthy to air out your opinion once in a while. You can't form your own view unless you know what other people think.

Having a little spice here and there is a good thing... :D

·
Gruntled Member
264 Posts
Bob, I mostly agree with you this time. Not everything is fair. The police don't always have public safety as their first priority. That peeves me more than individuals breaking traffic laws, since the police have a much greater responsibility. However, it's better to officially protest laws you think are wrong than to decide for yourself which laws you don't want to follow. If you get a speeding ticket and you were indeed speeding, you should pay the fine. I don't think your arguments would hold up well in court. (I'm not assuming that you would actually use those arguments in court)

Steve

·
Charter Member
7,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
It is interesting to see how threads rapidly turn into something other than what was initially intended. I feel that the officer was incorrect in determining my speed. How do I know this? He indicated that he had clocked me at almost 900 feet. I went back out to the location and measured out 850 feet. At that distance, I was completely obscured by another vehicle. There was no way he was able to even see my vehicle let alone clock it. However, I can't go into a courtroom, and make that statement, since I don't have any witnesses. Its my word against his, which I will always lose, no matter how correct I may be.

If I simply mail in the ticket and the check, I get fined and points assessed. If I fight it, make a complete bollocks of it, I get the same fine and the same points assessed - I am no worse off. If the cop doesn't show, or I can create sufficient doubt, then it's dismissed. I win. There is no downside to fighting the ticket, other than the time involved. It's not worth hiring a lawyer unless jail time is involved.

One major reason to keep it off my record, is I hope to be insuring my own cobra within 3 years, and it appears to be hard enough to find insurance with a clean record, let alone one with a speeding ticket on it.

Soooo...any constructive advice is really appreciated!!!

We'll see what happens and I'll keep y'all posted on how it turns out in a few weeks.

Howard

·
Registered
764 Posts
hey cobradvm, last year i got a ticket for going threw a red light, believe it or not the road was not marked properly - i took photos and went to court, explained why i did what i did, showed the judge the photos, he gave me a 6-month deferment, which means if i dont get any tickets in that time it will be taken off my record. so no more tickets but it did cost me $75 for court costs, no points though. so i think if you can prove a good grievance you may get off on this, just explain yourself to the judge , they do listen. also remember they are elected to the bench so they dont want to pi$$ off too many people. goodluck, vince

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,333 Posts
Steve, I agree that everyone has a right to an opinion, and not everyone has to share them. Just didn't want to see this turn into a name-calling game (like has happened so often on CF).

I stop fully at stop signs, allow others to merge safely, don't tailgate (too often), and I drive no faster than is safe (given the condition of my car, the road, weather, and pedestrian and other road traffic). No moving violations in more than 8 years, nor an accident in more than 15.

Yet by your standards, I'm a scofflaw. Yes, I drive 80-85 on the freeway (with a 65 MPH limit), when it is safe to do so. But then I don't drive more than 20-25 MPH in my neighborhood, where I know it is not safe to do so.

I used to hold an SCCA National and IMSA competition permit, with FIA endorsement. I instructed with several club driving schools and organized driver and track safety instruction as the VP/Competition for the POC. That doesn't make my driving over the limit "OK" or legal, but it does generally mean that I can handle 15-20 MPH over the limit, in a high-performance car, with the same (or more) safety as my grandfather does at or below the limit in his old Caddy.

What is SAFE behavior for me (or anyone else, for that matter), isn't the same for everyone. So I don't criticize them in public forums, without all the facts (such as they are).

Here in San Diego, we have a huge controversy over traffic light cameras, run by a private contractor for the city. The contractor provides the equipment at no charge in return for a percentage of the resulting traffic fines. The "take" was below the contractor's expectations, so in return the City reduced the yellow-light periods to increase the number of citations. As a result, the accident rate has gone up dramatically at those intersections with cameras...yet this was done in the name of public safety?

I could go on - I wrote a sociology thesis in 1989 on the fallacy of driving safety "improvements" from 1974-1989 that were erroneously credited to the "NMSL" (i.e. the 55 MPH limit)...but I suspect you get my (and others) point already.

Sorry for the rant, this is one of my hot buttons. And I think I just blew any good intentions from my earlier post completely away...

·
Senior Charter Member
580 Posts
STEVE
Have you watched your local police in a school zone lately? The steet/road is posted for 35MPH except for when the school zone is effect and then its 20MPH. Her come grandmother going 30MPH, like she done for the 55 years, in her 55 OLD and our young policeman see this old DUCK and does a Highway Patrol Uee slide througt the school crossing and burning rubber and speeds inexcess of 70 MPH to catch your grandmother who is turning into the Drug Store for more heart medicine. Now who should be getting the ticket or ass chewing?Most of us OLD TEXANS get pissed when we here IT's for the poor children.Last time I was in Plano I could drive faster in the subdivisions that on theExpressway from Dallas which reminded me of the L.I.Expressway at 5PM. I have spent over 12K this year in legal fees to fight for your rights to live in peace.Yes I think the adults should be responsible for their children and be able to correct them as necessary without any liberals telling us how to.I spend many hours of my time doing chaitable services . I would like to chat longer but I have a ASA 10U SOFTBALL team to pratice with at 5:30

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I think this thread, along with the yellow light camera thread, lead the group down the wrong path. It always seems to become the radicals/extremists vs. the conservatives/law abiders. I don't feel this has anything to do but stir the pot of controversy. It certainly doesn't help out in any way with how to put these cars together.

Now, before somebody decides to make a point of me by saying "if I don't like the topic, don't read it" Let me say that, if you break the law, and get caught, pay the fine.

IMO, this thread, and those like it, will do NOTHING but bring about the same demise like that of the "other list". I think we ALL want this one to live long and prosper.

CobraDVM, you know you were speeding, follow your wife's lead, pay it and get into the build.

Time for me to go weld something... Peace.

·
Senior Charter Member
517 Posts
SPEEDING RULES,
#1 Never ever, ever speed in a school zone.
#2 Never Ever speed in a residental area.
That's all the rules.
I received a coupon for 65 in a 55 and was very guilty.
Pay the fine no problem, but did'nt want the insurance points.

Went to court to plead my case, which consisted of my best Fathers Day "I Love My Daddy" tie.
And my plea was, Mr. /Mrs DA, Your Honor Sir, " I have not received a speeding violation in 5 plus years and I would like to ask the courts assistence in reducing this ticket to a non moving viollation. DA says" I think we can do that, Judge says that will be fine and by the way son I do like that tie" Cost of court reduced fine, no insurance points. True story. As we say in the NAVY this is a no sh!ter.
Buzz

·
6,546 Posts
Good Grief.

Hey, anyone wanna go get a beer instead of argue?

UHM, Bill, we need a "Graemlin" that is a beer mug. I officially nominate it the "Cobra Earl" Graemlin as well.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The direction of this thread really irked the hell out of me.

I come to this forum for the valuable information provided by those that have preceded me in building a dream. Most of that information is gleened by those willing to step up and ask a question eventhough it may seem dumb to them. The most facinating aspect of all this, is the genuine willingness of others to help out and lend a hand without prejudice. The general concensus is... If you dont know, dont be afraid to ask.

Along comes another thread, where a fellow builder asks for help. This time however, his request for information is turned into a debate. Not a debate based on valid information, but one base on hearsey.

SteveSS, my friend, do us all a favor and practice what you preach. In a previous thread, you said the following:
Remember that we are not infallible, and we are not perfect. We cannot perpetuate the values we stand for without the respect and support of our neighbors. We should always strive to do what is right, not just what makes us feel good. Remember to take a look at yourself before you point the finger at someone else.
Best Regards,
Joe

[ October 16, 2002, 10:14 PM: Message edited by: JoeS ]

·
Administrator,
879 Posts
The news had a story last week that over 50% of tickets that are protested in Houston are dismissed. The reasons vary, but one of the leading reasons was cops not showing up for court.

Galt

PS - The number one reason for dismissal was owners providing proof of insurance to the court (they had received a ticket for not having proof of insurance).

21 - 40 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.