Factory Five Racing Forum banner

OT - COBRA OR GT40

858 views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  LloydGT40 
#1 ·
not the forum for this, but i like this group of guys, their knowledge and input, so figured id ask it here as well....now ive just about sold a business that i have, and when i do will have the money for a cobra build..BUT....ive been looking at gt40 kits now and am getting CONFUSED...so wondered...for those who love both cars..and have built the cobra...do you wish you had gone the gt40 route??.....thanks as always....

#2 ·
If you've never built a kit car, I would STRONGLY recommend building the Cobra first. It's a lot easier and less involved build. Enjoy it for a year, then decide whether you want to tackle a 40. You can always sell the Cobra and get your money back out of it (minus labor).

#4 ·
Different cars entirely. The Cobra has the wind-in-yer-hair, bugs-in-yet-teeth thing going for it while the 40 has that Supercar mojo. Drawbacks (IMO) of the 40 are claustrophobic cockpit, need for AC most of the time, lack of wind-in-yer-hair etc.
Drawbacks of Cobra include....um.....I'll get back to you in a few months. :D

#5 ·
Boy Wade, you are FAST today.

Remtlm-

The two cars are vastly different. The Cobra is pure muscle and American grunt. The GT40 was (and is) a car of finesse. It was deigned for high speeds on the Mulsane straight at LeMans. The Cobra is akin to a brick aerodynamically.

As Wade said, if you have never built a kit car, start with the Cobra. The GT40 has 3 major body sections - the front bonnet, the mid-section called the spider, and the rear section. There are also the doors and the access panel in the front section. It is very tricky to get them all aligned correctly.

In addition to the body panels, the GT40 has a tricky shift linkage. They use a system called Morse cables. Further, the plumbing for the cooling system is complex with pipes and hoses going from the front of the car, through the center tunnel, and going into the engine compartment.

I have finished my Cobra. I plan on building a Roaring Forties GT40 sometime next year. I feel I now have the skills to undertake such a project. Prior to building the Cobra, I would not have felt this way.

2FAST

#8 ·
The GT-40 will probably cost you double what the Roadster does if not more. A RF Complete Kit is 46,000 plus delivery. Then you need to supply powertrain, paint and bodywork, and all labor and little things you decide to add or change.

If you're looking for something in between, why not build a Daytona.

Brendan

#7 ·
Buy 'em both. Build an FFR Roadster and paint it blue with white stripes. Now you've got something to drive while you build the GT-40. When the GT-40 is done, use the same paint codes but paint it white with blue stripes.

Life is good. Carry on. Good luck! :D

AJ

#9 ·
If you can swing the 40 do it. I would love to have one of those someday. I always loved the cobra and the awesome 427 underhood but that's me. Which would you rather have is more the question here. :confused: If you really want the 40 but will settle for the cobra.........BUILD THE GT40! :D

#10 ·
Rem-

Knowing now that you have the skills to build a GT40, go for it. The RF is a beautiful car. I saw Hershal Byrd's at Knott's last year. The kit is excellent. You won't be disappointed.

I know that many on this forum are very partial to FFR and their Daytona replica. But the RF GT40 kit is by far much superior in quality.

2FAST

#13 ·
depends do you if you want to spend a lot of money or an outragious amount for the 40. I spent more for nos zf2 Transaxle than i spent for ffr 1064 kit. back in the old days $9,999.00, $6000 pin wheels, $3500 headers, $12,000 tricked out 351/408, $15,000 deposit and i don't have a car yet. The money just keeps going. Did i mention 3 years since the initial deposit.

The 40 more complicated and a lot more money, but it is the ultimate.

lloyd

#15 ·
Take it from a guy that has owned all three. Go with the cobra unless you have really long legs and a very short upper body. The GT40 is cool to look at but it's picture is under "impractical" in the dictionary. I loved looking at mine but it was so claustphobic inside with blind spots everywhere that I never felt comfortable driving it on public roads. Exotic? YES! but I thing the Cobra is much more fun and enjoyable to drive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.