Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry in advance for a non Cobra question, but this is the best place that I knew of to get an answer.

I've been working on my '66 Mustang while looking for a donor. It is running, but leaks (squirts) gas from around the fuel filter where it screws into the carb onto the manifold. The threads in the carb are stripped, but I can tighten the filter by hand until I cannot turn it anymore. If I put a wrench to it, the filter pops back a couple of threads and is loose again.

This is the original 2V carb and I plan to replace it with a 4V in the future. I am currently trying to move and do not wish to replace it and the manifold at this time. Nor do I wish to pull the carb. Is there anything that I can use to temporarily seal the filter to the carb? Will gasket sealer work? I will just need this to work long enough to drive the car to a new location which should be less than 10 miles.

Please excuse the long post. Thanks in advance.

Mike F.

·
Junior Charter Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had seen a helicoil in one a number of years back, but figured it would require removing the carb. It is the way to go, but I just don't have to the time and space to pull it right now.

I had not thought of the JB Weld. It's more permanent than I'd like, but I'll probably go that route. The carb will be replaced with a 4 barrel in the future anyway.

Thank for the help guys.

Mike F.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.