Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry in advance for a non Cobra question, but this is the best place that I knew of to get an answer.

I've been working on my '66 Mustang while looking for a donor. It is running, but leaks (squirts) gas from around the fuel filter where it screws into the carb onto the manifold. The threads in the carb are stripped, but I can tighten the filter by hand until I cannot turn it anymore. If I put a wrench to it, the filter pops back a couple of threads and is loose again.

This is the original 2V carb and I plan to replace it with a 4V in the future. I am currently trying to move and do not wish to replace it and the manifold at this time. Nor do I wish to pull the carb. Is there anything that I can use to temporarily seal the filter to the carb? Will gasket sealer work? I will just need this to work long enough to drive the car to a new location which should be less than 10 miles.

Please excuse the long post. Thanks in advance.

Mike F.

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
4,481 Posts
I know this isn't what you want to hear but ..... gas, hot manifold, spraying fuel .... not a good thang .... There are a number of ways to fix it. Probably a heli-coil, but not without removing the carb. Just my thoughts....

·
Premium Member
18,103 Posts
The original 2V carb is pretty worthless. It will work for now. But when you replace it, you won't be able to give it away. You'll just end up pitching it into the dumpster, or using it as a core return.

The point is, you need a quick reliable repair, and you're not concerned with later maintenance. I'd use a good portion of JB Weld.

·
Junior Charter Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had seen a helicoil in one a number of years back, but figured it would require removing the carb. It is the way to go, but I just don't have to the time and space to pull it right now.

I had not thought of the JB Weld. It's more permanent than I'd like, but I'll probably go that route. The carb will be replaced with a 4 barrel in the future anyway.

Thank for the help guys.

Mike F.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts