Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in
Munich Germany
last week and I snapped a shot of a relatively rare sports car. I believe this particular year is even more rare. Sorry I didn't get a picture from behind because when I swung around, it was passing a Bus full of tourists (I was by Konigsplaz (click for pic) were the Nazi Headquarters was in WWII, No It was built for/by the Nazi's in fact Hitler was arrested in 1923 for an anti-democratic demonstrating againts the goverment out in front of it. Oops, sorry, no history lessons - well, maybe automotive history lessons)

Can you give me the Make, Model and Year(s) this car is?

Don't Dring and Drive

:D TAZ

·
FFCobra Fanatic
929 Posts
C'mon Taz, give me a hard one.

1968 Ferrari 206GT Dino

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Almost, but no cigar. You got the Make right, but the year and Model are wrong. Check the flaring by the back windows.

-TAZ

[ October 26, 2002, 06:11 PM: Message edited by: TAZ ]

·
Registered
95 Posts
1972 DINO Ferrari
Transverse 65 degree V-6
9:1 compression
195 HP @ 7,600 RPM
3 weber 40 mm carbs
5 spd Transaxle
1080 kgs
245 kph top speed

you can find more by going to the Ferrari website

·
Registered
95 Posts
all the "Dino" body styles were basically the same either hardtop or targa. The real differences come in the engine, tranns, and suspension.

·
Senior Charter Member
351 Posts
Munich? I was there last week too! And I grew up there!

Btw, that's a Viennese license plate. Must have had some fun driving it to Munich - that's nice curvy and hilly highway.

Tim TT

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Matt,

Close, but not. Actually everbody still has the year wrong as well.

All will be explained :D

-TAZ

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok it is a 246 GT Series E Dino Ferrari. But the year is wrong (it was made in several years, but look at the front bumper, and the turn signal lights, remember this is the European version.

That limits the year it which it was made.

-TAZ

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Matt,

If that actually is a 206GT then it's even more RARE. Only 153 were made. The body styling is basically the same with only a few minor modifications. The 246 GT had 2487 of them made.

Note that that 206GT has the orange turn signal lights which would make it even more rare because that would have been one sold in the US. The Euro versions had white/clear turn signals.

-TAZ

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, it's either a '73 or '74 because the front bumper does not wrap into the radiator area.

-TAZ

·
FFCobra Fanatic
929 Posts
Well its become rather obvious that I must capitulate as I am in over my f'n Ferrari head here! However, as one parting shot, my sources reveal that 152 were made, not 153. So there.

Its really that late a car? I loath my ignorance but I thought the later cars were targa tops.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Great, now I have to go dig out my Ferrari book.
If someone doesn't come up with it first, I'll let you know what it is tomorrow. (If I can) :rolleyes: By the way, remember that Ferrari's didn't always come off the line the same as the last one, especially in the earlier years. I've seen photo's of the same year and model Ferrari's that don't look anything alike. Ok, they're similar, but not the same. They really didn't get into the whole assembly line thing until Fiat got involved and the Dino was the first Ferrari/Fiat made, so there could have been some, ah, discrepenancies from car to car.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Ok the question for you Taz is your car identifiable yet? Good to here from ya , how's the car coming?
Mike

·
Registered
62 Posts
Originally posted by Dr Pepper:
Great, now I have to go dig out my Ferrari book . . . that Ferrari's didn't always come off the line the same as the last one, especially in the earlier years. I've seen photo's of the same year and model Ferrari's that don't look anything alike.
I love where even a short Ferrari production run will have variations in detail from car to car.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ok, I looked this up, but forgot to bring the book with me. :mad: The reference I have doesn't treat this car very well in terms of it even being a "true" Ferrari. It just gives a generic run down of engine size, production numbers and years. They were available in either a hard top from the beginning or targa from '72 right up until the end in '74. I think this is not a 206 and it is a later car, here's why;

1) The 206's had a one piece door glass, this photo has a two piece door glass.

2) The bumper on the 1972 and earlier cars went into the grill opening, this one does not.

3) The mirror matches the paint as on the 73-74 models.

So, here's the problem I have. I would tend to agree with Taz that it is a later car. But I can't see the outside door latch in the photo above. And I've never seen a photo of a Dino without it. So I'm stumped, but I'm pretty sure it's a 1974 246 GT. Maybe. Here's a monkey wrench for you. Anyone have a photo of a 1973 or 1974 Dino 308 GT4? One other thing, how many Dino replicas are running around out there?

I'm glad to be able to muddy the waters a bit more. :D

So if anyone knows exactly what this is and why, please let us know. :confused:

·
7,097 Posts
It's a rebodied AMC Pacer! :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.