Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an opportunity to take a great position in a hospital located in topeka ks... Thing is I have never lived outside of the northeast area..

Anyone here able to give real world info, not what I am reading on the net or what the hospital is schmoozing me with.. Will be going for a tour but what can you see in a few days driving around..?

seems crime is high (2x national average?) how bout them there twisters? I don't mind snow and have lived through many hurricanes in Rhode Island but never had to get toto and the wife in the basement...?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Joe,

I wouldn't live in Topeka. Lawrence isn't but about 1/2 hour away and is a nice college town where the University of Kansas is located. Or add another 10 minutes on your commute and you could live in a suburb of Kansas City.

Don't worry about the twisters. They keep the leaves from accumulating in your yard.

What hospital are you looking to work for? I do a lot of work with the Blue Cross plans in this neck of the woods.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bernie..

Looking at Stormont-Vail Healthcare in Topeka.. Went to Realtor .com and saw a fem nice place, at least on paper, in N Shawnee County, Subdivision: Jackson County.. Any help would be great...

I fear having to move all my junk.. oh yeah and the cobra too

·
Premium Member
18,585 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
238 Posts
I live in Lenexa KS, about 45 minutes east. I wouldn't live in Topeka if they doubled my salary and paid for my house. Yes, it's really that bad, just an ugly town. No offense to anybody that lives there :D

There are some nice suburbs located between Lawrence and Topeka if you're looking for a little land. As mentioned, Lawrence is a pretty nice town, as long as you don't live in the "student" area, it's pretty run down. If you don't mind a 30 minute commute, there are some great new neighborhoods located between Lawrence and Kansas City on highway K10. Nice hilly, wooded areas.

Feel free to contact me if you need any more info.

Cheers,
Brandon

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,015 Posts
I live in Topeka, but am at work right now.
I'll reply to this post with more info later.
SO far I agree with all that's been posted, though.
Hell, I've lived hear since 1973 and wish I didn't,,,,,,but am stuck here so I make the best of it.......
(self employed & already established here means, moving would be "professional suicide")
anyways, I got Benzes that need fixin, so I'll check this post out more later.
regards, Alain

·
Over Engineerer
2,921 Posts
I was born & raised in Lawrence KS - it's the best town I've ever lived in. It's kinda small, but since it's a college town there's a lot of things going on. If you move to the area, you must take in a college basketball game at Allen Fieldhouse - the birthplace of basketball.

As others have said, you don't want to live in Topeka proper - but something east of town would be nice. There's a couple of good highways heading into town, so your commute will be quick. There seems to be a lot of medical stuff there - Menenger (sp?) Clinic, VA hospital and a few other major ones. Nice motorsports complex at Heartland. Three or four nice lakes less than an hour away. There’s four seasons – mild spring, hot and humid summer (can reach 100 degrees with 95% humidity in August), mild fall, cold and some snow in winter (may dip below zero a few nights).

The “good” thing about tornadoes is that they come-&-go quickly. With hurricanes (I lived through Hugo in South Carolina), you watch & worry for a week wondering if it’s going to hit you. With tornadoes you only have to worry for about 15-30 minutes then it’s gone. What do cowboys and tornadoes have in common? They both eventually end up in trailer parks.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so is this area "N Shawnee County, Subdivision: Jackson County" Topeka Proper...

I told them it was worth both parties time to at least let me visit the area...

From Cooperstown to home of baseball to Topeka home of basketball... hall of fame though is in Ct.... thanks for all the replies.. hard to get a sense of an area talking to a "headhunter"

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,015 Posts
Topeka pluses are,
houses are pretty reasonable...for example, I just looked at a nice 3000sq foot 5bedroom home with a 3 car garage, 4bathroom, & 2 fireplaces for $140k.

my current 2000sq foot ranch four bedroom w/ oversize 2 car garage is worth about $90k, and is in one of the"more desirable" school districts.

Lots of houses available with land, 3-5-10 acre homes are common.
The minuses are too numerous to list.
I'd be happy to talk to you, or even give you a tour if/when you come to check it out.

For decent dining/entertainment etc My family usually ends up going to Lawrence, Whichita, or KC.
We do get all four seasons, but they are "severe". When it is cold,,,it's effing cold and when it's hot,,,,well it's humid & sticky too.

call me at the shop if you have any q's 785 228 2440, ask for Alan.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the "real" feedback..

Told the guy that my wife was not saying no but will not move for nothing.. He asked for a price.. I responded... He went to those hiring.. he called this am and said we will have to work out a place without the "toto" factor.. seems a 15% raise to move 1/2 way across the country was too much to ask..

thanks again for all the feedback.. would like to visit someday...

jd

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.