Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,I am somewhat of a purest so where can I get dash panel cut out for the original gauge layout. Would also perfer something heavier like the firewall forward (0.90 ") in thickness for dash.

2nd thing is, why is FFR using 0.45 aluminum panels, seems to me ( opinions are like you know, elbows and ...)that 0.90 would offer much greater rigidity and a more solid structure. Its not like an additional 20 to 30lbs would make a difference anyway.

·
Logan
626 Posts
Wait..... 0.90" ?

Like 9/10ths of an inch?

Like .1 away from a full inch thick?

Thats some thick aluminum ;)

Maybe I read it wrong, but the aluminum in the kit is fairly thin and lightweight, while being TOP quality and strongest they can utilize effectively. The dash is pre-cut to the classic layout.

The 4000 series aluminum is easier to bend and form, but not as strong in tension. We invested in learning how to correctly form the 6061-T6 and enjoy a benefit of increased strength for the same weight.

The entire cockpit, trunk and engine bay is 6061-T6 aluminum.
Above quote is directly from the factory five site.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Perhaps you meant .045? :D

·
Tool Collector
6,608 Posts
Stef, Someone will answer your inquery about layout. But here is my 2 cents about the thickness of the material. The Grade of the aluminum is much more important than the thickness. Grade will dictate the strength and stiffness. FFR has a good product engineered with plenty of strength. Lots have chosen to upgrade and no-one will dog you for doing so. Good luck with the rest. Frank

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Been a long day, type O, meant .045 and .090 respectively.

FFR dash is not original design, look at the pics
from the sixtys.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
frankeeski, I am interested in upgrades for aluminum panels, what sources do you know about.

·
FFCobra Captain
11,720 Posts
For my MK1, I bought a pre-cut competition dash from TriState Motorsports. It was a thicker alum. that the precut FFR Street Dash.

Here's a picture of one of the cars from the Shelby factory in Vegas.

·
2,860 Posts
You can buy a blank dash from FFR, also, as you may know.

FFR also sells the NEW gauges, ala Kirkham. Very cool.

·
Registered
9,942 Posts
Nothing wrong with a thicker dash but the one we have is fine. It's not like it flexes and bows under stress or anything. With the two supports under it it's very solid.
I'm pretty sure they use .045 material because it has to be bent by them and trimmed by us. If you've tried to trim .090 aluminum by hand you'd be glad it's only .045.

PS, the FFR dash is correct...it's the street car dash.

·
Super Moderator
29,535 Posts
.090 aluminum doesn't bend well at all. Too stiff. For the dash it would be OK, but not for the other panels that have bends.

I went with .060 6061 aluminum for panels in my GT40 and they were a bit hard to bend. 5052 grade is easier to bend.

·
Pro FFR Builder and Moderator
14,784 Posts
If you go to my website in the support section, there is a pdf file of the gauge layout for the FFR dash.

·
Over Engineerer
2,921 Posts
Hardness also plays a part in "rigidity". You can bend .090" thick 6061 easy enough if it's not hardened. T6 is hard, T0 (zero) is soft.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Go here:

http://users.pipeline.com.au/~bryanw/a_guideline_to_building_an_authe.htm

You can see the dash layouts. If you go for the Comp SC layout as I did, and you buy Autometer Vintage Gauges, the directions will tell you to reverse the fuel and voltmeter gauges - which I did.

Some people like to center the speedo smack dab in the middle of the car. I honestly like it where the original are - just driver side of center.

Be careful if you choose to do business with Tristate. I had a hell of a time and ended up buying a 4 inch holesaw to complete the dash because the gauges they sold me where 4 and 2 inch, but the holes in their dash was 3/38inch.

My dash:

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,384 Posts
I've read a lot of complaints about the customer service with Tri-States. They were pulled from the forum vendor list because of it. I ordered my precut dash from them and didn't have any problem. It was packed very well and was shipped right out. There thickness might be a little thicker than the FFR dash but not much. I'm pretty sure it is the same as FFR, .045. I've seen another vendor on here that sells a precut thicker dash, I think .090 but I can't remember who it was.

Mike M.

·
Premium Member
4,627 Posts
Originally posted by Gordon Levy:
If you go to my website in the support section, there is a pdf file of the gauge layout for the FFR dash.
It's not there,these are the only choices:

PRO Bump Steer Kit Installation Manual
Street Bump Steer Kit Installation Manual

High Current European / DOT Headlight Harness Installation Manual

3 and 5 Link Installation Manual

·
Pro FFR Builder and Moderator
14,784 Posts
It used to be there. I will change that. If you e-mail me I will send you the file.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I, too, thought the panels were too thin while I was building. I must admit, now that I've been driving for a while, I don't have any problem with the panels being too thin.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Love the dash Huckleberry5! I've seen less switches and stuff on fighterjets! Okay.... maybe not, but still very very cool looking! Great job!

·
Senior Charter Member
2,501 Posts
I used the tristate precut dash. I had now problem with delivery.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts