Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anyone in the Bryan,College Station area who owns an original Cobra? If so...what are the chances of getting up close and personal to take some pics and perhaps a few measurements?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Let me explain a little more. We are going to attempt to build a car from scratch,as close to the original as possible. It would be nice of coarse to get a set of blueprints for the body...no luck there though. So if I could get a good look at an original car and take some pics...it may be possible to scale from there? Or a pattern for station forming body bucks. Am I crazy? My husband is getting frustrated so I thought if I could find something to get him encouraged, his dream can happen. Tell me if I am nuts!!

·
Senior Charter Member
768 Posts
Most of the cars on this forum are FFR's. Have you tried Clubcobra.com. Not sure about any of them owning originals but there are several CSX 4XXX owners and some Kirkam owners who might be able to help.

·
1,018 Posts
I noticed in my Cobra Restorers catalog that they offer cobra substructure and frame blueprints: says" 9 pages completely detailed and dimensioned prints of the 427 cobra chassis with all suspension pick up points and differential locating brackets, plus detail mounting support system. Doues not include A-arms, spindles, or uprights....CP1001". $199.95 per my price sheet which is a couple of years ago.

I see they also offer custom alum replacement body panels and/or complete bodies for both the 289 & 427 cobra.

They offer many many other cobra stuff too.

Here's their site. www.cobrarestorers.com

Doug
FFR2625

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
I admire the desire to build a Cobra from scratch. However, your husband can realize his dream a lot cheaper, faster, and easier by starting with a FFR kit and then modifying it to his liking.

·
5,042 Posts
I agree. Most people still have the old mentality about kits. But they're different now. Much better and depending on your approach, can produce a very original looking car. I suggest you try to get a look at some FFR products before launching a megaproject that will be fraught with HUGE challenges.

Even building with a 'mass produced' (3000 to date) kit, you can still spend upwards of $40,000 building your dream and take several years doing it. The project your husband may be contemplating could be bigger than he thinks. :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok....so we are nuts!! Thanks toall who let me know that. But then again...ask a silly question and there you have it! In black and white for all the world to see. Thanks guys!
Seriously though. We may end up getting a FFR. After all research, they do stand out well above the rest.

·
Premium Member
18,462 Posts
Bridgett,
I understand your need and concern for building a car "like the original" as that was my original goal too. After a significant research project ending with a 4" thick notebook and comparisons gallore, it is my opinion of the following:
1. The FFR kit matches the original frame design and body dimensions. Very faithful.
2. The FFR kit allows one to upgrade the drivetrain without detracting from the visual part (shape, interior, trim, etc.)
3. Modern drivetrain may be more valuable than obsolete drivetrain. (for resale)
4. The IRS option sealed it for me, "just like the original" but better, as it is all Ford.
5. The FFR is race-proven...that is a very big deal to all drivers. You get a safe car, not an obsolete, unsafe design.

My car will look "vintage" when done and the question will always arise "Is is a real Cobra?" Regardless if what one does, that is always the question. The answer depends on your outlook. I'm thinking about the plate "NEW 65" to answer the question before it is asked!

The FFR kit and this forum are making a 20 year old dream come true for me and many, many others. (FFR may be selling 15 kits a week) After all the questions exactly like yours, I could not be more pleased than with what I am building now. (if interested in progress, see www.primequip.net/427.htm)

You choose the way the car is completed. You choose the budget.

Keep asking questions Bridgett; you have "freinds in the Cobra business."

lnj

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Larry,I don't really want a car that "LOOKS" vintage. We want the real deal. And I know that it isn't going to be easy either but I think we have to give it a shot. Thats why we call it a dream. Head up in the clouds huh?? No place I would rather be.

·
Rip Snortin Post Maniac
1,044 Posts
If you have the ability, I say go for it. Sometimes the build is the goal rather than the finished product. If that's the case, the blue prints from Cobra Restorers sounds like a must have.

You may also want to check out Kirkham. They build a Cobra that is very close to original. Most of thier parts will interchange with the original. I think you can even get one of thier kits for around $35k. It doesn't include much of the little stuff though. Basically just a frame and body package. An aluminum body too.

Good luck in your quest.

·
5,042 Posts
Originally posted by Bridgett:
I don't really want a car that "LOOKS" vintage. We want the real deal.
My suggestion in that case is don't build one, buy one, an original one. Anything you build will not be the real deal. You can even build an exact replica, but it will not be the real deal. And to build an exact replica could cost $80,000 or more and you can find an original for less than $150,000. The original will be an investment whereas the car you build will depreciate.

·
Scalded Cat
1,847 Posts
Hi Bridgett,
From what I am hearing what you want has already been done to take a lot of your hard work out of the process. I live in Utah and actually have done some work for Kirkham Cobra's and if what you want is the real deal then Kirkham is about as close as you can get. They have an original car & have patterned their cars to be as original as possible. Like everyone is saying you even get the original aluminum body. They also have it offered in a 289 body and spec style or the 427 body and spec style. I considered going their route but couldn't fit it into my budget. They are great to work with and would be more than happy to answer any questions. I believe you can get it in stages to build on your own or buy it ready to drop the engine and trans in and paint to be done. Either way you don't get much better than their cars. They also seem to resale much higher. Email me if you need any contact phone #'s.
Todd

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Bridgett:
.....with FFR having such a closely designed replica of the Cobra, the only question that comes to mind is, WHY??? No insult intended, just trying to understand your decision to embark on such an painstaking journey.

misu

·
Registered
541 Posts
I know a guy that built the cobras, when they were in Torrance in the early 90's, he was telling me that it cost around 110,000 dollars to build, of course they were selling for 500,000.

For whatever good that was worth.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
877 Posts
Bridgett,

You certainly want to think this one through. To faithfully reproduce an exact replica will require much much more than taking a few measurements and pictures for a day. And as has been stated, it will not be the real deal (can you form aluminum?), and will cost a lot of cash (I believe the $50,000.00 plus figures). Why re-create the (replicated) wheel. The Kirkham for instance would be closer to the real deal than you'd likely be able to create.

But then, as you say, if it's your dream, and you have the financial and time resources (I wouldn't expect you could do this for anything under 1000 hours), go for it! I have a similar dream to design and build my own unique design ... however I know this is a ways off.

Anyway, if you're ever interested in seeing a FFR, I live in Sugar Land. You're welcome to visit anytime.

Regards,

1 - 20 of 24 Posts