Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Senior Charter Member
3,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced her yesterday after a long and fruitful relationship which only recently has gone sour!

Purchased her in April 2002.
I suppose her service began around June of 2003 when the car was tagged.

9 1/2 years of service over 62,000 miles.

Thanks Old Girl for the miles of smiles................it was fun.

· Premium Member
7,232 Posts
that's great! And, completely opposite of my experience w/ optimas. I've had 3 redtops and a yellowtop in 3 different cars, and I don't think any of them have gone past 2-3 years. Last one, in my miata, didn't make it a year.

· Registered
2,056 Posts
that's great! And, completely opposite of my experience w/ optimas. I've had 3 redtops and a yellowtop in 3 different cars, and I don't think any of them have gone past 2-3 years. Last one, in my miata, didn't make it a year.
I think they're all Mexican now.

When they first came out they were made here (and seemed to work pretty well).

EPA.

· Registered
224 Posts
Lucky you, my red top was bought and installed in 2008 and by 2010 it was not holding the charge anymore, It was installed in a 1972 Austin Mini. I no longer spend big money on batteries I also have a 1965 tbird with a $70.00 napa battery in it installed in 2006 and the battery is still in there today and working well.

Joey.S

· 1st RFM/FFR Legacy Winner
28,719 Posts
I installed mine in 2005 and it's been deep cycled many times. So far so good after about 7 years.

· Premium Member
2,597 Posts
I have 5 red tops now, and all of them are over 7 years old, the oldest iis 12.

Mike's comment about the country of origin seems to be consistant with all of the reports that I have heard.

· Premium Member
16,720 Posts
I too had to replace my red top optima after 9 years in the car. However I heard all the stories about the Optima batteries being no good any more so I got a NAPA legend 75 month battery. Starts every time and I keep a tender on it all winter to keep it good.

· Official OLD GUY
3,877 Posts
Optima

I was under the impression that the Optima batteries were now being made to the "old" specification after they discovered that the newer-cheaper version, produced in Mexico, were failing horribly . . . any one else that can confirm that theory???

I ask because I'm in the process of swapping out my 11 year old red top as I type this.
I'd like to get the same service out of another red top but if they're failing after a few years, I'll go another route. The new Lithium batteries that weigh 9 Lbs. look promising but rather expensive right now at $300.00. Think I'll wait on that till next time . . .

Doc :beerchug:

· Registered
850 Posts
I have red tops in the roadster (2003 install), and my Jeep Wrangler
(2010 install)

The Jeep reads 12.8 after 24 hours, Roadster 12.72.

The roadster is much improver after going to 3G alternator.

· Master Builder
1,243 Posts
Agm

The biggest thing with the Optima AGM batteries is to use a charger /maintainer that is for AGM batteries. Don't ask how I learned.

I just purchased a NOCO Genius Maintainer (after much research). Even the regular "battery Tender" is not really for AGM batteries. And you have to watch that the NOCO model is for AGM they make both.
I found that even a very low drained AGM will come back to life if a slow AGM charger is used. This is my results anyway, but I'm sure others have different situations.

Kenny

· Junior Charter Member
650 Posts
I don't know of any conventional automotive (lead acid) batteries that are being produced on a large scale in the United States anymore. Most of the batteries are produced in Mexico, China or Korea now. I don't know the reasons but I suspect that we have legislated our way out of producing them here because of environmental reasons. My understanding is that Johnson Controls owns most of the companies that produce most of the batteries, including Optima. I personally have had good luck with Optima regardless of where they are produced but I do make sure to keep it charged. Most of the real research is being done on batteries for electric cars/hybrids and I suspect that some form of that type of battery will replace the conventional lead acid battery. Some of the newer batteries are being researched here but I don't know about production plans for them I do know that Johnson Controls recently purchased the assets of A123 Systems when they went bankrupt and they were a battery producer in Holland Michigan. It seems to me that we are slowly legislating our way out of producing anything.

· Registered
1,178 Posts
Signage

I bought a battery this week from good old Canadian Tire.

Of their high end choices I had made in the USA or made in Spain.

I went with the USA model.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

6,297 Posts
I can't say wheteher it's fact or fiction but I heard the same as Doc from an Optima Rep last year. I bought my Red Top on sale from Jegs in November 2003 ($84) and it's still going strong, knock on wood. If and when it expires I'm inclined to get another one based on this experience and what I've gathered recently about longevity improvements.

OTOH has anybody had any experiences with Odyssey batteries? They claim to have replaced Optima as the best AGM batt with better technology. I wonder if that's just marketing hype or if there's any truth to it.

Frank

· FFCobra Fanatic
2,600 Posts
An option

I bought an Optima PC-680 (this one http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ody-pc680mjt/overview/ )for a friends Camaro, he did some work for me. Its been 4 years and still going strong. Being a small battery, he cant leave the radio on for a long time with the engine off though but its small and light. This one http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dui-5575b/overview/
Smaller and lighter, mine is on top of the passenger foot box.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/brl-b2015/overview/
not sure how they are all rating CCA as the one above is a lot more than mine. Though the one above is an AGM battery and mine is a dry cell.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.