Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the recommended Optima battery for the FFMetal under trunk battery box?

·
Charter Member
4,001 Posts
Robert:
I'm using the Optima Red Top ( SUMMIT P/N ult-9002-002)with 800 cold cranking Amps, fits perfectly.
A good idea is to line the bottom lid of the box with non-conductive material ,I used adhesive backed cork about 1/32 inch thick.
This will give you some protection in case the lid is pushed down inadvertently(that would take a lot of force).

Paul M.

Paul M.

·
Senior Charter Member
6,104 Posts
Make sure you don't get one with side posts. Most stores carry the ones with top and side posts so they don't have to stock two different items.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
USMC,

Is it OK to use the one with top and side posts (but to just leave the plastic covers on the side posts and utilize the top posts)? I don't want to hijack Robert's thread but I think the answer will help with his question as well.

Thanks,

-Jon A.

·
Charter Member
4,001 Posts
Jon A.
I know at least one person who uses the battery with both top and side post successfully.

Once the battery is secured and the side posts are well covered it should be OK,I would probabaly want to put insulating( non-conductive) material in front of the side posts just to have a little extra protection.
Paul M.

·
Junior Charter Member
2,891 Posts
For anyone here in central NC, there is an Interstate battery distributor here in Angier NC. They have all types of "blem" batteries for sale at the dist. center. No warranty but a good value. I bought a red top Optima for my Trailblazer last week for $60. These are new new batteries that have cosmetic defects. Been buying the Interstates for years and have never had a problem. They got the Optimas about a year ago, You might want to check it out.

·
Charter Member
1,326 Posts
I've got a Red Top with both top and sides - 4 yrs - no problems.

Scott

·
Slowest Builder in NY
455 Posts
From Summit:

ULT-9002-002

$159.95

OOOOooo a bit pricey it seems.

·
Premium Member
9,698 Posts
I use the Optima yellow top. I've had it for about five years, and the Cobra is the second car it's been in.
I've heard that the Optima red top batteries don't like to be discharged, and will sometimes fail to take a charge, if discharged completely. John

·
2,860 Posts
I've heard that the Optima red top batteries don't like to be discharged, and will sometimes fail to take a charge, if discharged completely.
http://www.optimabatteries.com/optima_products/

Not sure I would agree...the RED TOP is a starting battery the YELLOW TOP is Deep Cycle and Starting. I have three D31M BLUE TOP's for marine use also. Good info on AMG batteries below. I don't believe any Optima batteries like to take a full discharge...they sulfate.

http://www.wind-sun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm#AGM,%20or%20Absorbed%20Glass%20Mat%20Batteries

·
8,269 Posts
I just lost an Optima red top to a full discharge on my sons truck. When put on a battery tester it would only push 46 amps. Luckily Optima has a 3 year replacement guarantee. Apart form this incident I have had great luck with Optimas.

·
6,332 Posts
I managed to discharge my Red Top during construction ( '03 - '04). Charged it up right away and again once or twice more while finishing up. Still going strong. I wouldn't take that as an endorsement that you can run a Red Top down to nothing without fear, but by the same token it wouldn't deter me from buying one. Seems like a good tough battery to me. Any battery will sulfate if left in a discharged state, but even so, unless the condition is severe having developed over a long period of time, a good battery can often be revived with careful recharging.
Frank

·
Going nowhere fast.
19,728 Posts
Even deep cycle batteries should never be taken below 20% regardless of manufactuer; there will be some degradation. Of course a high performance battey can take a lot of degradation and still outperform even a new standard battery.

Mike

1 - 15 of 15 Posts