Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
408/410 econo crate engine
500hp/500 foot pounds of torque
Fully machined production block, Scat or Eagle cast steel crank, Scat or Eagle I-Beam rods, Mahle coated or SRP forged pistons, Plasma moly rings, Federal Mogul bearings, 28 oz balanced, Comp Cams hyd roller camshaft, double roller timing set, front cover, Melling oil pump, stock replacement oil pan, BHJ replacement damper, Ford Racing hyd roller lifters, Comp Cams pushrods, Scorpion roller rockers, ARP head bolts, AFR 185 heads or Brodix Track 1 heads, Fel Pro gasket set, Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake, engine is balanced, blueprinted & assembled. Includes carburetor, water pump, distributor with polymer gear, Ford Racing or Moroso plug wires, Keith Craft logo'd valve covers & gaskets. .....$6875

·
Charter Member
1,770 Posts
I thought about going that route but am doing a 347 instead. For the money it is a good deal. You could not build it for that.

·
1,569 Posts
That's the motor I have and it runs great. I opted to go with a stacked injection unit in place of the carb though. The attention to detail was excellent. The only issue I have had is a persistent leak either from the oil pan (canton oil pan) or a rear seal. Check to make sure you will be getting a one-piece seal instead of the old 2-piece. I hear they are now machining the area on the pre-1974 blocks to fit the 1-piece seal.

·
section 8
5,136 Posts
Thats a bargain if it comes complete and tested. My 408 zero balance complete pan to carb minus any leaks was 10k dynoed. I 'd go with bigger heads and a vic jr came with alt brackets flywheel new dampeer all forged components canton pan header tank for cooling system braided lines for carb etc it makes an extra 70hp and 70 tq . Just my 02 Bob

·
FFCobra Fanatic
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks every one...will see what others have to say in the monring.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,655 Posts
I have a Keith Craft 347. Very powerful, very reliable, absolutely no issues. The engine was built and delivered on time. Extremely well crated and bolted to a steel stand on the pallet.

I would not hesitate to have them build me another engine.

Olli

·
Junior Charter Member
2,688 Posts
Sounds good to me. I would think that the AFR 205 heads would be a better fit for that size motor and would prefer a zero balance as well. At that price, it seems very reasonable. 500 tq/hp is a sweet number and will put a big smile on your face.
Thomas

·
Administrator
9,772 Posts
Keith contacted me about a month ago and said they were going to become a vendor. I haven't heard from him since. His engines are very nice and they provide good service. I hope to add them as a vendor.

- Bill

·
Cobrafied
1,636 Posts
I have a 357W from them and am very happy with it. Dan

·
FFCobra Fanatic
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good morning...thanks for the responses...looks like I have finally found my motor!!!! :D

·
Junior Charter Member
346 Posts
Looks like a good deal to me.

I'm building a 408 myself, and I'll be pushing $8000 by the time I'm done.

Most of the components look the same 'cept I have an Eagle forged crank, bigger Brodix heads, Centerforce AFI flywheel, Breeze's oil pan kit, alternator, and a day on the dyno.

I'm also including the carb, valve covers, air cleaner, fuel pump, & all MSD electrics.

·
Premium Member
18,135 Posts
What do plan on doing with it? If it's a street and occasional drag motor, that would be fine. But if you're going to be doing more than a few open track days, I'd go with the forged crank and rods, and add a main cap girdle. Otherwise it looks like on heck of a motor.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
bOB, mostly street.. some drag strip time, and chase some cones. :D I wish there was a track near by to get some open track time. :(

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,626 Posts
Way to go Charles! Bout time you got something done on that engine. Gotten anything else done since I saw you last? I am just a few days from finishing. Very little left to do. Put the lights on today. Last piece of carpet on each side, windshield, windwings, sunvisors, mirror and the rear elephant ears are about all that is left.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey Mike
Have not touched the car...yard work, house repair, lack of
has kept me away from the car. :mad: Next time your in EP, we need to visit Craig...push him to finish his...now that he is also retired.

·
Junior Charter Member
88 Posts
Check out T&L Engine development,They build many NASCAR motors and dyno everything they sell.My engine of choice was thier 370 ci Dart block combo, $9800, makes 600 hp and has priority main oil system (did you see the Rousch built Winsor in a Superformance grenade in mar 07's Car and Driver?)The 370 in motor is still an 8.2" deck height for less weight and lower center of gravity. Have fun!!

·
FFCobra Fanatic
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok just got off the T&L web site
.....think I'll call them...get a feel for their customer services style ...would like to hear form any one less that has one of their motors.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
6,103 Posts
Charles - do some searches on here, I know there are several threads talking about T&L, as well as Levy racing, Smeding engines and others. On T&L, I recall they have a bit of lead time, but people seemed to be happy (1 guy had a problem, but T&L stepped up and took care of it).

I am not near that point, but all the ones I mentioned will be seriously considered.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Rich thanks .

1 - 19 of 19 Posts