Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All. Well, I'm close to finishing my Mk4 and am curious to the steps required to registering my car in Ontario. I'd like to have everything in order as soon as possible. Can I register the car before it is completely done? I am currently doing the final assembly. Should be done by August or so. Planning to drive it for part of this season in gelcoat, then do the paint next fall/winter. Any Ontario(Ottawa area) peeps have some tips would be greatly appreciated.
Man, I can't wait to get this thing on the road!!
I forgot to mention insurance. I'll be looking for an insurance provider as well. I know that is going to be a challenge.

Thanks to all

Cheers

Tom

·
1,771 Posts
sure, I did too. No inspection, but car must be certifiable. so needs all the basic safety items in good working order. Take your certificate, ownership, manufacturers to the MTO, import papers from , apraisal if you have one, and receipt for HST when you brought it across the border.

Can register the car, pay taxes on the blue book, and therefore can be done well in advance

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys. I'll get all my paperwork organized, maybe get a notarized certificate and head on down to the MTO and hope somebody can get me processed!

Have a great weekend all

CHeers

Tom

·
Registered
531 Posts
Thanks Guys. I'll get all my paperwork organized, maybe get a notarized certificate and head on down to the MTO and hope somebody can get me processed!

Have a great weekend all

CHeers

Tom
Call ahead to your local MTO Licensing Office and make an appointment with someone called "the Commissioner". This person should be familiar with kit car registration and should know what's needed. The counter staff have likely never dealt with a kit car before and could inadvertently misdirect you.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Licensing

Hi

I licensed mine in Cornwall 5 yrs ago and it was pretty painless but there are certain steps to follow. I needed a notarized affidavit that was easy to get, once I proved I had paid the HST on all items that went into the car, including the kit I didn't have any other taxes to pay. Also you'll probably need an appraisal before you can get insurance. If you want to pm me your email I can send you the government form listing the steps to follow.

Good Luck

Allan

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Hey Tom.

I'm in Ottawa and have the name of a good appraisal guy if you need it. I'm close to Manotick. PM me if I can be of any help. Regards Scott

·
Valin's Custom Cars
135 Posts
Did you guys have it registered at a 65 or 66? Or did it have to be registered as a new vehicle?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Did you guys have it registered at a 65 or 66? Or did it have to be registered as a new vehicle?
I registered mine as new to avoid any potential insurance hassles. Most others I know of have done the same.

·
Actual builder now!
1,479 Posts
Hi

I licensed mine in Cornwall 5 yrs ago and it was pretty painless but there are certain steps to follow. I needed a notarized affidavit that was easy to get, once I proved I had paid the HST on all items that went into the car, including the kit I didn't have any other taxes to pay. Also you'll probably need an appraisal before you can get insurance. If you want to pm me your email I can send you the government form listing the steps to follow.

Good Luck

Allan
HI Allan. I got this from an older thread. Would love to get that government form as well.

Steve

·
Registered
229 Posts
Steve
I just registered at service Ontario last week, let me know if you want to chat, wasn’t too painful but couple things I would have done ahead of time.

·
363 Posts
Steve
I just registered at service Ontario last week, let me know if you want to chat, wasn’t too painful but couple things I would have done ahead of time.
I am about to register mine and I interested to find out what are the things you would have done differently. Could you elaborate please? Also, what should be the wording on the affidavit?

I think I have everything else that is required.

Thanks for your comments.

·
Actual builder now!
1,479 Posts
Took me two tries to register. If you did not register the donor to prove ownership of the engine you should at least have a bill of sale from the vendor. That was my first mistake the first time.
The second mistake was going to a random centre and dealing with the counter staff who did everything over the phone. The second time I made an appointment with the manager of the centre that the dealers use here on the advice of my mechanic. Made a huge difference dealing with somebody who knew what to do.
With bills for everything I used I ended up getting an exemption from paying tax on the assessed or blue book value. Sweet!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts