Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just came back from Car Quest with the one piece lower radiator hose that's been talked about here. Problem is it will not fit over the neck on my Crown Vic standard rotation water pump. What is everyone using for a lower hose on these pumps?

·
Charter Member
2,134 Posts
If I remember correctly, it took some wheaties and heat to get it to fit over the end. Some said heat was not good for the rubber. Might try a hair dryer and force. good luck, I kept the two piece for now.

·
Charter Member
423 Posts
Try heating the end that needs to go over the water pump in boiling water to expand and make softer. Also try some rubbing alcohol applied to the hose, it makes a good lubricant that dries with no residue.

Ron

·
\\\M3
2,299 Posts
Shep,

Most of the hoses I used required considerable heating up or some lubing to get them to slip on. Are you off from work this week working on the Car? How's it coming? Ready by Spring I hope?

Brendan

·
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brendan - I've tried a heat gun, no luck so far. If I can't get the bugger to fit, I'll buy a lower hose for a Crown Vic and piece stuff together. Just frustrated right now. I'm about 2 months behind where I wanted to be. Original plans were to get it running and ship it off to Ron Randall in February/March for paint & bodywork. I'm finishing off lots of the small stuff now and then on to the Painless harness install

·
\\\M3
2,299 Posts
I know all about missed deadlines. My original plans called for the car to be on the road in June of '03 :D . Looks Like I'm realistically looking at April '04 Now.

What Color are you going to have Ron Paint the Car?

Brendan

·
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A very dark Burgundy/metallic. No stripes. Black rollbars/pipes, etc.

·
3,645 Posts
warm soapy water and a flat tip screwdriver (and some wheaties)

·
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The problem is that the ID on the Crown Vic WP neck is almost the same size as the OD on the one piece hose. I used my heat gun on the hose until it was almost melted and it still wouldn't stretch enough to slide over the neck. Off to Car Quest again tomorrow to see what I can cobble together.

·
STACKED Senior Charter Member
592 Posts
Dave,Its not going on if its the same OD as the Pump :( Let me know if you need Any help dont be scared to ask Im only Mental everyonce in a while

·
16,719 Posts
Shep, You gotta love how everyone tells you what to do with your hose eh?
Lube it, heat it, push it, use a screwdriver, spray it with this and that.......Geeesh!

You guys are forgetting stuff.

I say go out to the car. Talk to it real nice and sweet. Maybe rub the intake a little. Give her some nice sweet motor oil. Get that baby purring first. Then grab the heated up hose, a little lube rubbed on the inside, and push till your head pops off.

A little foreplay works all the time ya know.
Or did you forget that stuff already?

I'm tellin ya it will work. If nothing else your going to start laughing when you think about my post. I know you will. :D Sometimes less force is better. BE CAREFULL!
Paul

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dave - The cries of anger you hear from a couple miles away are from me. I'm the one going mental today. This thing is like trying to put the square peg in the round hole :mad: .

Paul - I've cursed, cajoled, talked nice, threatened mayhem. Reminds me of the old days when all 3 daughters were living at home :rolleyes: .

·
Scalded Cat
1,847 Posts
Shep,
I am the one you can blame for the hard fit for the one piece hose that I found at Autozone. It was frustrating for me as well to get on to the water pump..... but like everyone one is saying above, a hair dryer, and any of the mentioned things above lube it up made it a rather easy job. It only took a minute once I did that. Step back, breath, and try again....
Todd

·
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bit the bullet and got a lower hose for an '85 Crown Vic with the 5.0. Major difference in the size of the hose that attach's to the water pump neck. Good news is that the hose diameter slims down to the same size as the one piece hose, so I'll be able to use the FFR aluminum pipe to attach the two. Not quite as pretty, but it'll work. For all of those that replied - a big thanks. For any of you who actually were able to get the one piece hose to fit on the Crown Vic water pump - remind me never to arm wrestle with you :D .

·
Sr FFR builder
5,565 Posts
I gave up on trying to figure out what would work with my setup and went the trick route. I bought the Summit flexible aluminum radiator kit.

trim it to fit and comes with sleeve adapters for different size ends. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Shep,

I just installed one from Autozone today. Put a little anti-freeze inside the hose and on the pump neck. It will still be tough to get it over the neck, but if you use a screwdriver to pry the last part over the edge, it will go. After I got the hose started, I got underneath the car and pushed it the rest of the way. I didn't use any heat.

Tanner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts