Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
OT Moderator
13,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I have officially started my build, and have begun on the Front IFS. I can't figure out what goes where, and which fasteners to use. There is NO info in the manual. How are you guys figuring this out? I feel like a moron.
:mad:

(edited, I got it now, Thanks Forum)

I am running Pin-Drive Width, with 94 SN-95 Spindles and Cobra 13" Brakes.

Fist, on the lower control arm mounts on my frame, there are two sets of holes, which do I use?

Second, What hardware do I use to mount them? Nothing is labeled.

Third, Should I use locktite when attaching the IFS components?

Fourth, does anyone have any good pics of a completed Front IFS w/ Pin-Drive Width on a MKIII?

Thanks.

[ March 30, 2005, 01:28 AM: Message edited by: ROB J ]

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Rob, try "browsing" the picture galleries in the pic-poster. They say a pic is worth a thousand words. I'd answer but I'm not sure. Also, others will chime in here.

http://www.multier.com/servlet/picposter/index.jsp

When you find someone with the same setup (sn-95 spindles, pin drive, cobra brakes etc) see if they have posted any suspension pics ..and congratulations on receiving your kit... I remember when I got my kit... boy was I confused (still am somewhat). It gets better!

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,297 Posts
Rob, I think you missed the first step in your build..............THROW THE MANUAL AWAY!!!

1. I have the Mark II and it only has one set of holes on the lowers so I can not help you that way.
2. Open all the bags and use the size that fits best. They will become very familier with you at the local nut and bolt store.
3. I used blue locktite on all fasteners so far.
4. Look under the name Champ he has a very good site and lots of pictures as well as Larry Johnson.
One thing I found ver beneficial to me was when I came across a good build site I added that site to my favorites and I can refer to them at anytime.

Mike O.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
OK, here are a couple from Nel's car... pin drive, cobra brakes, sn95 (I think)and Koni's

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
I lied, Nels has Cobra R rims, not pin drive.

·
Sr FFR builder
5,565 Posts
The bolts you are referring to are not provided. Unless you have a donor car, you would be best to visit Mark Reynold's site - Breeze automotive, a vendor here at this site. For many of us, he was a total life saver. I bought all the misc nuts and bolts that the donor was to provide. HTH,

·
Supermoderator
12,393 Posts
Every little package of nuts, bolts, screws, clips, etc. that came with your kit has a label on it with a number and description. If the description on the package isn't clear enough, look up the assembly number on your packing list and it'll tell you what each item is for.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Rob, the correct info is in the manual. As Joe said, every part is labeled and packaged. If you haven't done inventory, do it first and look at EVERY piece that you purchased. Leave the parts in the box that they came in. Best advice is slow down, read the manual, and only work on one project at a time.

Jeff

·
OT Moderator
13,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the response guys, but I hate to tell you, not Every pack in my kit is labled, actually alot of them are not. I must have a Monday or a Friday kit

I thought the only hardware not included was the bolts that are used to attach the spindle to the Spindle Adapter bracket?

Rob.

·
Professional Internet Browser
9,945 Posts
Rob, you can find out that info on the packlist (whats supposed to be included that is, not if it is actually packed). The kit changes from time to time and you will get different answers from each different person. Look on your packlist, inventory every single nut and bolt, and you will learn alot about the kit, trust me.

·
6,654 Posts
Hi,

The front upper IFS arm to frame bolts come with the kit.

The front lower IFS arm to frame bolts don't.

You can get them from a few vendors on the forum though. Forte's has them for sure.

(You'll have to grind the front one slightly as it's a little too long stock.)

HTH!

Randy

·
6,305 Posts
As others have suggested, the fasteners are specific to certain components. If it didn't matter FFR would have just sent you one big box with everything tossed in loose. If you do as one suggested and just use whatever looks good, yuo'll be so screwed up about half way through you'll be buying stuff you didn't need. If you haven't done it yet, stop now and do a complete inventory. Take a Sharpie and mark each bag that isn't labled. This will make your build go much more smoothly, guaranteed.
Frank

·
Registered
588 Posts
Follow Franks advice. You are not alone and you are not an idiot. I was where you are also just two months ago and not much further along. Look at the pics on the forum, they are better than the manual and ask questions here.
I am not an idiot
I am not an idiot
I am not an idiot
I am not an idiot

·
Charter Member
348 Posts
My Mark III DID come with the bolts for the front lower A-arms and they are supposed to. I did the same thing you did and didn't find mine until I had already used the donor bolts. If you can't find them let me know or call FFR they will get them to you...Here's what they look like...

HTH

m

·
Banned
6,100 Posts
My lower control arm bolts were in Box # 16 with my gauges and seat track for some reason. Look at the packing list, that is how i found mine in the sea of boxes in my living room-hysterical! Also, my spacers are too big for the lower shock mount so i am sanding one for each side down. In addition, the bolts are too long for the rear mount so i am going to hacksaw about a 1/2 inch off and then rethread them. They bump into the frame at the current length of a little over 5-1/2 inches. I love riveting. If you don't have a neumatic rivet gun you are really missing out.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,051 Posts
you need the two hole bracket for pin drive-not the four hole one. I found that my kit came with both of them-the four hole one was in box 1 and the pin drive one was in box 12.

·
OT Moderator
13,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yep, I just found the 2 hole brackets, so they did come with the kit, also got the LCA bolts. Thanks everyone, I got all my Front suspension installed tonight, less the spindles, since I'm missing the adapter bracket bolts. These I understand DO NOT come with the kit. I'll call one of the vendors tomorrow to order them.

Thanks, Rob.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts