Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got off the phone with eddlebrock and the efi is to much so im going to stay stock intake. so my question is what is the best heads i can use for the stock intake of a 88 gt 302 with speed density which i will upgrade.. im looking for the most performance for the lost cost. i got a tight budget

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,672 Posts
I'm not sure if you're saying you will change from SD to MAF but I don't believe you can change heads and stay with SD. There are a few intakes you can change to (Cobra, Edlebrock Performer) and you can get some shorty headers. But beyond that, I think you'll need to upgrade to MAF to make any more changes.

Or you could just slap on a blower! :cool: I'm SD and that's what I'm thinking about.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
can i just take an explorer engine and put in in the cobra and put the efi on that

·
Senior Charter Member
1,639 Posts
Rob, If your on a tight budget, like you say you are...clean up the donor engine and DRIVE the car... If you want to do upgrade later when $ isn't a factor then you can upgrade whatever you want (heads, intake, blower are all pretty easy to do when a engine is in a completed car),.... The only thing that really wakes up the stock 302 is (believe it or not) Gears for the rear end... most of us are using 327, 355, or 373's.. Do this before you put the rearend in and you be surprised what this does to the donor engine combo!........you can judge for yourself how much power is good for your taste. FFR states a stock 302 cobra will do 0-60 in about 4 seconds or so........ i did just what I mentioned... Changed to 355 gears,Stock 88 Speed denstiy car, drove the car and decided to supercharge it, now I've upgraded to mass air, bigger injectors, fuel pump, TB , Ect...all on a budget I could work with .....

Food for thought
Mike

[ March 07, 2007, 01:48 PM: Message edited by: Mick76 ]

·
Slowest Builder in NY
455 Posts
I'll chime in with Mike - I think that's the best way to go too.

And if I understood your question, upgrading heads and keeping the intake stock is a waste of money. Just trying to help. :cool:

·
Banned
7,701 Posts
An Explorer engine IS EFI, so there's nothing "to put on it".

As a side note, you have no less than 7 threads you have started all on the first page of this forum. They are all asking roughly the same thing.

While we are all a community here and willing to help, it might be better for you to contact, via phone, one of our forum vendors like North Racecars, Levy Racing, or Mike Forte, and ask them all your questions in one phone call. You will receive great info from them, just as you will from this forum, but you can get all the questions answered at once. I know how it is; the answer to one question leads to 2 more questions, and on and on. A 15-30 minute phone call with one of the vendors would really clear things up for you.

Again, we are here to help, but I think in your particular case, it may be beneficial for you to talk to an expert on the phone.

-Greg

·
Senior Charter Member
2,275 Posts
If you want to stay under $20,000, build with the complete donor concept. Replace what is broken and then upgrade as money allows after you are running. There are certain things that are much easier now such as CobraEarls vent kit, heater/defroster, second roll bar, 3-link, etc. Other than that, most things are fairly easy to upgrade after you are running.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
4,257 Posts
Originally posted by gbranham:
An Explorer engine IS EFI, so there's nothing "to put on it".
Well, not quite.

A LOT of us have gone explorer and if you already have a high mileage Mustang....like the 88 you speak of (what I had), you can transfer a lot of stuff to make life easy. The explorer has GT40 (or GT40P), Cobra-like intake, larger tb right off the bat. If you get a mass air setup from one of these guys going carb (I traded an oil pan for my entire setup) you get the mass air so you can upgrade without issues. Change the cam. Some of us did E303. I can tell you that you MUST go mass air with that cam. I tried to stay speed density and the car would run but my eyes had competition between burning from so much fuel and seeing light emitting cats that I knew I had to switch. You simply add the mass air meter on 2 pins on the computer, relocate 2 other pins, plug in a BAP in the MAP connector and plug the vacuum line and you're done.

For the explorer conversion, otherwise, replace the timing cover and everything forward, distributor, put in the oil filter screw thingy, pilot bearing, harmonic balancer (crank pulley), and the clutch/flywheel stuff at the rear. You can drill a couple holes for 2 sensors in the lower intake that are not in the explorer....although the one that goes to the #5 runner can go right in the air intake path...which I guess a lot of guys do.

What I found was the best thing about the explorer was that when I bought it, it was about 2/3 the price of a Mustang engine and only had 5k miles on it. I also figured most explorers are most likely not beat on like a Mustang might have been.

Best of all, everything you need except the mass air....is already on your 88 GT.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
24,699 Posts
I'm w/ Mike on this.Put 3.55s in the rear,clean and reseal the engine and put it in the car.It will take a year to get comfortable w/ the power this gives and then you can upgrade.Good luck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts