Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a brand new supercharged fuel injected 331 stroker motor. My car does not have an oil cooler. The oil temperature is running at 210 degrees fahrenheit.

Is this too high? Do I require an oil cooler? What should the oil temperature be running at?

If a cooler is required, which one should I get? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
I have a brand new supercharged fuel injected 331 stroker motor. My car does not have an oil cooler. The oil temperature is running at 210 degrees fahrenheit.

Is this too high? Do I require an oil cooler? What should the oil temperature be running at?

If a cooler is required, which one should I get? Thanks.
Anything under 250*F should be good to go. Have two factory turbo cars both have the stock oil cooler thermostat set to run at 160*F to enable boost 250*F normal operating temp & 270*F limp mode which cuts ot the boost. Prior twin turbo car also had the exact same oil cooler & temp configuration.

Typically you want the oil to get to 212*F to burn off water & other contaminates. I notice that non boosted Coyote no oil cooler FFR's run in the 180/190*F range.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I have used several engine builders over the years that dynode the engine before delivering them and everyone agreed that engines make more HP if the oil is over 200 + deg F. I don’t remember the exact number it may have been 205 or 210 but none of them would start a power pull until the oil got above 205/210 and most of the time the temp ran 235-250 on track. During one race I had some cooling issues and ran 275-300 for most of the 30 min race and after wards I had the engine torn down and inspected and everything was perfect but I was using a synthetic oil. It may be possible that some engines have issues with higher oil temps but I would think 235/240 F would be safe for most if not all engines.

Bill Lomenick

·
Junior Charter Member
2,915 Posts
If you do a cooler on the street, I would recommend putting a thermostat on it. As most people are saying oil that is too cool is not so cool after all.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.