Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
302 ci. Ford race motor with alu. heads and f.i. Normal oil is 170. Water was 210, oil pressure was 50. Outside temp was 100.
What would cause an increase of 60 degrees in oil temp. It was so hot the injection started running rough.

·
Pro FFR Builder and Moderator
14,823 Posts
What were you doing at the time it went up?

·
FFCobra Craftsman
25,976 Posts
One of the theories on oil temp is that it should get over 212F so that any moisture accumulation can be boiled off. So 230 is fine.

·
Junior Charter Member
2,472 Posts
The only time my oil does that is when I flog on it really hard or I'm stuck in stop and go traffic for a long period of time. I wouldn't worry about 230 if those were your conditions.
We need lots more info. to give more help. Do you race it? Is 170* normal at 70 MPH? Sounds low. 50 PSI is way more pressure than I have so that should not be an issue. I assume that has been your pressure all the time. How old is the engine, miles? After it cooled off did it run right?

·
Premium Member
18,256 Posts
I have a 5.0, and it runs around 220 almost all the time at highway speeds. Normal. Oil temp will be above coolant most of the time.
Oil temps should be fairly close to water temps. If you're water temps is usually 220*, then that's appropriate. If not......

One of the theories on oil temp is that it should get over 212F so that any moisture accumulation can be boiled off. So 230 is fine.
Interesting theory, but complete BS. If water had to get above 212*F to evaporate, your kitchen floor would never be dry.

The only time my oil does that is when I flog on it really hard or I'm stuck in stop and go traffic for a long period of time. I wouldn't worry about 230 if those were your conditions.
Oil is mostly heated by RPM's. If you're flogging it hard, it will get hot. Occasional bursts to 230-240* is not a big problem - even for dino oil. For a true synthetic, those temps are fine for extended periods.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I run a water and oil temp of 180*F. It never wavers more than 5 degrees. Even when i flog it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.