Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After talking to Rich GRSC and doing a couple searches, it looks like the recommended installation for an Electronic Oil Temp Sensor is the hole in the side of the oil pan on a stock 302. Forte's used to carry them, but I couldn't find one on his site with a search.
I'm not planning on using a remote oil filter (but may down the road).

Is this the best location and who sells the plug / adapter?

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
May have answered my own post:
Oil Temp Sender Adapter Solution

don't know why this didn't come up in my other searches.

If you have a 302 pan with the oil level fitting in the pan and want a Temp Gauge here is how you can save a few bucks. Buy a NAPA #704-1046 ($3.99) and a 1/8 pipe tap which fits my Speedhut sender, yours my be different. The pipe tap if you don't have one will be in the $3 to $8.00 range. You will also need a 11/32 drill bit. Step drill the NAPA plug up to 11/32 and the tap it with the 1/8 pipe tap.
Congratulations you just saved about $40.00! Ok I know you won't save it but you can spend it on something else now.
If you don't have a NAPA store and need to look the plug up by application it is a 20mm X 1.5 oil plug that fits a 72 Chevy Luv. truck, 83 to 86 Dodge Chargers or Omni with 1.6 engine, Honda's from 1976 to 1983, and most Subaru's from 1978 to 2008.
The plug will work as is if you want to eliminate the oil level sender.
Thanks 3KCarbon!

·
Charter Member
2,612 Posts
I've never seen them on the web site, but when I've called, Steve has said they are in stock.

Rob

·
Not a waxer
12,092 Posts
Do you have the actual low oil level sensor? If so you can gut it, then drill and tap it for a 1/2" NPT (maybe it's 3/8" NPT---it's been a few years :001_rolleyes:) by 1/8" NPT bushing to accept the temp sensor. I bet Rich has the taps.

Jeff

·
Senior Charter Member
6,409 Posts
Low Oil Level Port

If anyone has converted the Low Oil Level Port to an Oil Temp Port, do you still have the Low Oil Level Relay that was in the harness?? I need to find one for my '88 GT harness.

Regards, Rick.

·
Senior Charter Member
6,409 Posts
Need Relay

Are you needing the sensor that screws into the pan? If so I have one.
No, I need the realy that plugs into the harness, mine is up by the fuse box. I have the sensor at the pan and it is installed. For some reason, my donor didn't have that relay, don't know why, or what advantage the previous owner thought he was getting with it gone.

I found a couple wires jumped in the harness, a burned out relay for the WOT A/C cut off, I got five lug wheels and 4-wheel disc brakes, so there were plusses and minuses with my donor.

Regards, Rick.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.