Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Charter Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I asked if there should be a gasket between the block and the oil pump. I promised I would check in after trhe fact and here is what I have: I did not install a gasket. Ford did not have one, didn't spec one and didn't know of one. But one came in the replacement oil pump kit should you have ordered it.

I should also say that I replaced the FFR suppplied oil filter relocator, rubber lines,barbed ends, and stock pan with Quality Roadster's relocator and pan, braided stainless lines and AN ends.

Upon startup the oil pressure jumped right up to 60+ psi, consistent with before, I then let it run at idle until the car came up to temp (180+- degrees) and the oil pressure dropped to 40psi, ABOUT 20 PSI BETTER THAN BEFORE I REPLACED THESE PARTS.

Ok guys, why would the pressure be better than before? I would imagine if I reversed the oil filter lines, I would have little or no pressure and I feel confident I have them right. (If anyone disagrees, PLEASE tell me). What would give the better pressure? Does this surprise anyone else?

Thanks
-Chip

[ March 12, 2004, 11:20 PM: Message edited by: FFR 1064 ]

·
Premium Member
18,140 Posts
If your pressure sensor is in the stock location, then it's reading the pressure produced by the restrictions in the block: passages, bearings spaces, etc. And it's reading pressure past the oil filter, so oil must be flowing through there as designed.

If changing the oil filter lines and adapters improved pressure at that point, it must have decreased pressure before that point, and increased flow. It's all good. Don't worry about it. It works and works well.

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,399 Posts
CAREFUL,CAREFUL, the oil pressure port is ahead of the filter. A restrictive filter will give you higher readings. Reversed lines will give a high reading and if you are lucky, pass a little bit of oil backwards through the filter check valve. More than one engine from this forum has been trashed this way!
Marc A

·
Premium Member
18,140 Posts
Is it? I thought oil went from pump to filter to bearings. And the port on the side of the block was between the filter and the bearings???????? I'll have to look that up somewhere.

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,399 Posts
If you ever have one apart in a stand, it is obvious. Next time you have your filter off, pull the sensor and squirt in ther with an oil can. No resistance and right back out the other hole.
If you gain pressure with a filter or sandwich plate, you just added a restriction. The better filters will drop your pressure slightly.
Some people are alarmed by what they perceive as too low of a reading. In these hyd roller cam mtrs, 40 lbs at cruise is more than adequate. Solid mtrs are a little more sensitive.
Marc A

·
Charter Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So do I have it backwards? From the Canton relocator, I have the outside line( top line looking down at it from the outside of the car) going to the side marked "in" on the FFR Filter piece. The side lableled "out" on the FFR supplied filter piece leads to the bottom line on the Canton Relocator.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.