Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been driving my Cobra around the block for a few weeks now but all of a sudden I started hearing a pinging noise in the engine and NO oil pressure. I have oil in the car that's not the problem, can you give me some suggestions of what the problem is.

Al

·
section 8
5,136 Posts
pinging or rattling like it has no oil?? This might not be good .Verify oil pressure with a mechnical gage . If you have one in the car an it's not electric do it any way . If still zero remove distributor and try to turn oil pump drive with a small socket taped to an extension. You may have puked a pump broken or twisted the pump drive shaft or cracked the dist. where the shaft goes in or all the above . Lets hope its a gage or sender thing Bob

·
BLUE.II
2,058 Posts
Check out a couple of things.

1) Is your gauge reading correctly (Electric or mechanical)
2) If you are using a remote filter, are the hoses connected in the correct direction
3) Did you lose the drive shaft for the oil pump (did you have it out?).

Hope this helps

·
1,752 Posts
Al,
Pull off the distributor cap and crank the engine over and see if the distributor turns. Sounds like it may have sheared the pin that holds the gear to the shaft. If that's ok find an old distributor and take the shaft out of it. Weld a 3/8" bolt to top end and then install the shaft in the engine. Use a 3/8 drive speed handle with a 9/16" socket to turn the shaft ccw and see if there's oil pressure.

Good Luck

·
Premium Member
18,090 Posts
Snapped oilpump drive shaft...

Pull the coil wire, remove the oil filter, crank the engine over and you should have oil coming from the filter mount.. If no oil - pull distributor and look down the hole - If no driveshaft in sight, it's time to pull the pan and oil pump..

If you replace the pump make sure you replace it with a standard volume pump.

-edit-
Might be a sheared pin too but the pinging sound is what is curious...

-edit2-
To explain the "Pinging" - a shaft that has been twisted off will many times be bent to the point where it's hitting the front crankshaft throw.. Also the fact that the engine still runs. Generally if they shear the pin, they go retarded and then stop running altogether..

·
Senior Charter Member
1,168 Posts
Al,
Randy's recommendation will get you started. When you pull the disty you will know if the pin is sheared. To check the oil pump by itself, you can use RICH215's technique, but if you don't have an old distributor lying around, you can get a pump priming tool from most auto supply stores. It's just a long shaft that fits into socket where the disty drives the oil pump. You just turn it with a drill motor in reverse. Check for oil pressure or take a valve cover off and look for oil coming out of the rockers.
Pete

1 - 7 of 7 Posts