Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
4,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed the oil to 10w-30 synth. and I noticed at idle the pressure drops to around 25lbs. I can't say I ever noticed this before.
There has been a heat wave in NE, but I don't really think this would do it.
Is it normal for oil pressure to drop at idle and I just haven't noticed?
Someone else has experienced the same condition.

·
Charter Member
750 Posts
Knight, I'm running Mobile 1 10-30 and my pressure drops to about 25 psi at idle when the oil is running at cruise temp.(about 100 C). I don't think there's anything to worry about. I have a 351 with the standard oil pump.
Ergie

·
7,237 Posts
10W30 mobil1 in my heap and it sits between 25 and 30 PSI at idle. Pretty much normal for a small block ford. As long as you're up in the 50+ range when you're really cranking, it's probably ok.

·
4,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is good news! I was running straight 30w dino oil and I think it stays a little higher at idle. I was driving my work truck and I noticed the oil gauge never moves. It's just a needle gauge with a picture of an oil can. This made me concerned.
Thanks!

[ June 15, 2005, 09:29 PM: Message edited by: Knight ]

·
FFCobra Craftsman
732 Posts
Many newer vehicles have an oil pressure gauge that never moves. When the engine is operating within normal pressures, the gauge stays at the same place on the gauge. Many owners were concerned that their oil pressure was running rather low at idle, and very high at higher engine speeds. Rather than try to explain to people how it all works, the gauges were set up this way. Basically an idiot light that looks like a sporty gauge.

·
4,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Today the engine was hot and the outside temp was hot. Oil was at 90c and the pressure seemed low. Below 20lbs on the gauge.
Even crusing in 5th gear the pressure was about 25 lbs. It goes up with rpm.
Could it just be the oil weight and type?
When the oil is cold, all is fine. But the oil just seems to be too hot and thin.

·
18,090 Posts
It's just fine Bill...

Today's oil is so much better than the oils we had even 5 years ago, it's like night and day..

Just remember one thing;

Oil Pressure is excess capacity of oil being supplied to the bearings. Within reason - any pressure at all shows that you have an adequate supply of oil to those surfaces that require it.
We are not "Floating" bearings - we are simply lubricating bearing surfaces and carrying away heat.

·
Charter Member
1,558 Posts
Ford specs. At 2000rpm oil pressure for stock engine should be 40-60psi.

·
Premium Member
1,883 Posts
25lbs @ an idle is plenty. Buff runs around 40, but I bucked the cajoling wisdom of the forum gurus and installed a HV/HP oil pump.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts