Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting an excessively high oil pressure reading on my fresh 306... 90 psi. The guy that put it together used what appears to be teflon tape (on the threads) to seal the oil pressure gage (adapter) to the block.

Is it possible that the teflon is screwing up my reading?

Any other things that might cause such a high reading?

·
Charter Member
1,098 Posts
Make sure the builder did NOT install a high volume pump. They have caused many problems with engine builds. A friend of mine is rebuilding his after the builder installed a high volume pump. It caused the distributor gear AND the cam gear to fail and distribute pieces of metal throughout the entire engine.

Unless you engine tolerances have been specifically built to flow high volumes of oil, use ONLY a standard pump.

Robert

·
Husband/Father/Son
12,461 Posts
Kevin,

Did he use a racing or high volume oil pump when he built the engine? If so, you might want to yank out the pump and put a stock unit in.

Bill S.

·
Premium Member
3,110 Posts
It is possible.

You can run a temporary jumper (with alligator clips at each end)from a good ground to the sender body to see if the reading changes...

Steve

·
Premium Member
18,135 Posts
Teflon will not screw up the readings. The instructions from Autometer specifically tell you to use a thread sealant.

A high volume pump should not give you pressure readings like that. The pump has a pressure relief valve in it. When the pressure gets too high, the valve opens. The differance between a standard and high pressure pump is the spring in the relief valve.

Check your gauge and sender, make sure they match. For Autometer, 2242 is for 100psi and is silver. 2241 is for 80psi, and is gold. Check all your wiring, and make sure there's not a small short.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Make sure your oil lines are not backwards (Butcher story) you will get high presure readings and blow your engine due to oil starvation. The pump tries to pump oil backwards through the filter but the filter has a check valve so the oil presure gets high and the engine has almost zero oil flow be careful.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.