Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know the part number or where we can get an oil pressure sender that will fire off an idiot light. Most of the ones I've run across will make the light glow brighter and brighter as the oil pressure drops. What we would like is one that will not ground until the pressure drops below about 20-25 lbs but will totally ground at that point. That way the light will either be off or on with no inbetween.

Thanx, Frank.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I've been looking for one of those too.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
906 Posts
Idiot light? cobra? really? :confused:

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanx, Stang. I will check with them tomorrow.

Yeah, I decided to use the red dash light for an "oh shit, there is no oil pressure" light. Kinda like the same philosophy with a shift strobe, if you're not watching the gauges it will take up the slack.

Frank.

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
NAPA has a book full of them for about $10. They come in a variety of pressures and thread sizes. Let me know if you want the number of the 20-25 psi unit I used.

Happy motoring

·
Registered
777 Posts
Frank,

Speedway motors has them. Here's the link (highlight the whole thing and paste it into your browser):

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/product.asp?strBase%5FList=&hilt=&source=&base%5Fno=60450606&str%5Fbase%5Fno=4917010%2C60450606%2C&header%5Ftitle=Keyword+Search&page%5Fname=sea rch%2F keyword%5Fresults%2Easp&search%5Ftype=warning+light&search%5Foption=AllWords&deptsearch=&dept%5Fid=&dept%5Fid%5Fp=&dept%5Fname=&dept%5Fname%5Fp=&size1=&size2=&gender=&ShowImages=ye s&sq=0&cont=1&intPgNo=1&mscssid=P0MU58MSB3UQ8MT56KBNTEJR3MGJE3F4

They are about $16.

Mike

[ October 02, 2002, 11:25 PM: Message edited by: MikeBraddock ]

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OldGuy - you are always a wealth of information. Thanks to you and Mike - I knew there was some way of doing this.

Hey Armando, me amigo - que pasa? Hell, now you have me thinking about Cuban food. Think me and the wee beastie will hit one of the local joints for some arroz con poullo for lunch. Nice to see you here.

Frank.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
767 Posts
I may be wrong, but isn't the 1993 sender setup "idiot light" ish? (It uses a guage, but the guage just pegs against a needle)

Or possibly a 65 Mustang 289? They used idiot lights. (66 went to a guage)

-steve in nj-

·
Premium Member
9,134 Posts
Hi Frank,
Like oldguy668 said there are many switches and thread sizes to choose from. I have many of them. I also mount them sometimes behind the mechanical gauge in a "T". That way you're not running more wire under the hood.
Mike Forte
Forte's Parts Connection
376 R Cambridge Street
Burlington, MA 01803
781-273-9900

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mike - did not know that you sold them. Mike, I moved my oil temp sender to the pan using a new low oil sender from Ford that my machine shop dude gutted and brazed a fitting into. Oil temp never worked before because I had it T'd off the oil pressure fitting and there was no oil flow there. Now I have T'd off the Ford oil fitting "Log" for the gauge oil pressure sender, the idiot light sender and the supply line for the Vortech.

Steve - we are not using stock 93 wiring and sender. We have Autometer and Wire Works harnesses.

Anyway, what I did was get on the Autometer web site and find the part number and then ordered it with an order I had going with Summit.

Thanx again guys.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts