Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About to crank up a new crate motor so I'll be spinning the oil pump shaft to prime the engine with oil. I'm wondering if there will be an oil pressure indication when I spin the shaft? Not sure if the electric drill spins the shaft fast enough to pressurize the system for a reading. Just curious!

·
Master Paint Chipper
1,374 Posts
You will definately get a reading, as well as feel the pressure against the drill. Make sure you spin it in the same direction as the distributor will spin, or it won't make pressure. I think when I spun mine to prime it up, I got about 50PSI on the drill.

P.S. it might take a few moments to fill up the filter and galleries etc., and make sure you give your drill a break, I nearly burned mine up with all the resistance from the pump.

GOOD LUCK

·
Premium Member
18,144 Posts
Yes, you'll feel the pressure build up just like he said. You can also look down the distributer hole and see a small stream of flowing oil. With my 1/2" drill, I was able to see about 20psi on the gauge. There was no need to read the gauge, I was just curious.

·
Premium Member
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I spun this this morning, I definitely "heard"/felt the drill encounter a load. Didn't like the socket slightly rubbing the sides of the access hole producing alittle metal dust. Will check the gauge tonight - can you "over-do" this?

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Can you over-do this? Nope.

Question: Is someone turning the engine over by hand while you're running the drill? The bearings don't align with the crank all the time. You need to turn the engine while priming the pump in order to fill everything with oil. Make sure to check your oil level after priming as it will have dropped.

·
Junior Charter Member
1,224 Posts
Autozone has a priming tool in their loaner program that is easier to use than the socket method in my opinion. Also, I bought a mechanical oil pressure guage just for piece of mind. Your welcome to the guage, let me know.
Mike

·
Senior Charter Member
1,110 Posts
I did same as Mike. Free rental of the priming tool at Autozone. Also got a $20.00 mechanical gauge while I was there. I got about 30 psi while primimg with a 1/2" DeWalt drill.

Ended up keeping the mechanical gauge in the engine compartment plus the electrical autometer in the dash.

-Kris

·
Just Pluggin Along
1,175 Posts
Use the Autozone tool, I dropped my socket in the motor when it got stuck. You want to talk about pi$$ED!

I got about 50psi on the guage when spinning with the drill. I would use a 1/2" drill, I almost burnt up my 3/8" after a couple of minutes.

·
Premium Member
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just wanted to let you guys know - spun it up and got 50 psi. I'm kinda primed right now myself! In France on business but will attempt the first start next weekend when I get back. It's been a long time coming (almost a year and a half!).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts