Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't get it to stick!!!!...
Yesterday night, I was surprised myself!

The story: New engine, new Canton Pan installed 1 month ago and a leak… :-(
The fact: The Pan is not straight and I need to modify it a little bit!

When I installed the Canton one month ago, I used Black RTV sealant on both sides of the gasket and did a good prep on the engine side and the oil pan side. The result: oil pan totally stuck!!!...

I tried a lot of tools and I can't get it to stick without hurting the pan!
Who is able to help me here?

Thx a lot
Cyril

·
Premium Member
18,143 Posts
Use a wide gasket scraper and a hammer along the rails. Move it from one end of the pan rail to another. Once that's loose, the front and rear should be a lot easier.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you bob, but I tried and with a 460 it is almost impossible to work around!!!...
If it is the only way, I will try a longer gasket scraper.
What do you mean by wide? (1", 2",...?)
Thx
Cyril

·
Premium Member
18,143 Posts
use a 2" scraper. It's thin, like a putty knife. If you put something too thick in there (like a screwdriver), you'll damage the pan rail.

·
Former Roadster Owner
1,861 Posts
Assuming we are walking small block fords here...

Was this the Quality Roadsters Pan?? I'm not worried, but I was just wondering if there is a "known history" of these pans having leaking issues.

Also, if you use a one piece pan gasket such as a SCE model (about $25) I don't think you should need any RTV sealant.--Maybe in the four corners next to the front and rear main seals, but not everywhere.

How many of you put a ONE PEICE gasket on with NO/minimal RTV?

I am certain the factory uses very little RTV with one piece gaskets.--Dan

·
We don't need no stinkin stitches
1,450 Posts
The putty knife suggestion is a good one. Just go all the way around and it will come off.
My pan leaked but it was because I used bolts that were too long and I wasnt snugging the pan to the block. Once I figured out the problem my Q-R pan fit perfectly.

·
8,356 Posts
I used the one-piece gasket from CarQuest; has holes for the bolts and the front/rear end-seals built right in. Its fool proof and worked great for me. No goop required.

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
Assuming we are walking small block fords here...

Was this the Quality Roadsters Pan?? I'm not worried, but I was just wondering if there is a "known history" of these pans having leaking issues.
There are no issues with Quality Roadsters Pan at all. It a very nice pan that is a must. Levy Racing also has a very nice pan too. The stock pan for most small blocks will stick lower that the frame rail causing alot of damage over time. Dont' ask how I know this. :D

·
Senior Charter Member
568 Posts
A couple of good shots from the sides with a rubber mallet or deadblow to the deep area of the pan works well too. Just watch that you don't get carried away with that spiffy oil pan.

Hope this helps

Bruce

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
it is a Canton Pan and not very good product!
Need more work on this pan to be straight and I will go this time with a 4 pieces gasket...

Bruce, the rubber mallet is sometimes a good way but in my case I guaranty you that I will go through the Pan before it will come off!!!...

Thx
Cyril

·
Sr FFR builder
5,565 Posts
Originally posted by CBP:
it is a Canton Pan and not very good product!
Need more work on this pan to be straight and I will go this time with a 4 pieces gasket...
Thx
Cyril
Cyril:

I have the canton road race pan (small block) and the toughest part of the install was that there was a scraper welded on the side of the pan that was hitting the pickup tube. After I bent to clear, the rest was like butta! I did use the 4 piece fel-pro gasket kit and used RTV black on both sides and sealed up perfectly. Hopefully, you can get the pan off and get this sorted out. Maybe you should consider lifting the motor a bit to get more room to work.

·
Junior Charter Member
1,336 Posts
I'd try with a 6 inch pry bar,

As for Caton oil pan, they have a long history of questionable quality, just do a search ;)

Nick

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Done! :)
A long and wide gasket scraper with a hammer along the rails was the way to go (in my case).
Need to clean everything, try to do something with this poor quality pan, drill it for the oil temp sensor and install it with a 4 pieces fel-pro gasket with... RTV black on both sides... :)

Thank you very much guys for your help
Cyril

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
Cyril,,..unless you really need it, don't use RTV on both sides. RTV is good to hold the gasket in place while you put the pan on from under the car. Really you shouldn't need that much.

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
double post

[ August 11, 2004, 09:48 AM: Message edited by: o2world ]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts